Two OOA divers in Boynton Beach last week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RogerAGrimes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
On 8/12, Friday last week, I was diving on a 6-pack boat out of Boynton Beach, FL. I was a last minute addition because my original charter got cancelled. On the boat, besides the captain and mate, was one other experienced diver and two inexperienced couples. I buddied with the experienced diver. One couple had just completed their OW dives in Lake Rawlings, VA, and one had done a resort dive or something like that...and maybe some other Caribbean diving, but not much. The captain decided he would take the inexperienced couples in his dive group and me and the other guy would take the dive flag and lead.

While we were getting our gear ready and waiting on tanks, I brought up the OOA situation that killed two divers in Marathon the week before. No one could believe how multiple divers ended up in an OOA situation and how preventable that accident was. I spent a lot of the ride out talking about how to prevent dive accidents...not breaking any rules, multi-systematic failures, etc. The couples included two doctors. Not dumb people.

Then in the very next dive, the two inexperienced men came up with 0 psi, coughing and hacking on the surface. At the time, I had finished my dive and was hanging out with the mate\captain on the top bridge. When we saw the first guy coughing on the surface and trying to make the back of the boat, the mate told him to put his now spit out reg back in his mouth, but he said he didn't have any air. I then told the guy to use his snorkel, but then noticed that he didn't have one. I was getting ready to tell the guy to drop his weights, which I made them practice before we left the dock, or throw a life ring, but he was only a few feet from the transom and going to make it. I was ready to dive in if needed. A few minutes later the second guy came up with the captain, air sharing.

The dive guide then went back down to be with the other three divers, and their dives were uneventful. Once on board, both OOA divers treated the event very casually, as if the whole thing was normal. The guy that was air sharing said that he didn't need the captain's help and could have made it to the surface just fine. They were all laughing, smiling, and acting normal.

I went into Mr. Mom mode and gave them the riot act. The captain talked to them about the event, re-explained appropriate procedures, following rules, checking air frequently, coming up with 500psi, etc. But I must say the captain was more calm about it than I was.

I even emailed one of the offenders today to reinterate how stupid it was, although in softer, non-insulting language. On reflection, there's lots of lessons learned and things that should have been done differently. I'm not sharing this event to get those. I'm sharing this because I'm still in awe of how we shared the OOA story, discussed following rules, and how 30 minutes later half the group was OOA and not overly concerned about it. Diving with strangers often leaves behind interesting stories.

Just a random add...didn't know anyone else on the boat.

Thanks for sharing. This kind of stuff happens alot more often here in the Keys than it should. Too many folks take on the attitude that "it won't or can't happen to me" believing they are invincible with a lackadaisical view of safety briefings. Those are precisely the folks that accidents and near misses happen to. And when these incidents do happen, they take no responsibility for ruining everyone else's dive trip. And when the boat crew puts themselves in potential harms way to help them, they don't even tip.

:soapbox:

Ok, end rant.

I'm not sure how to respond to the post and make it constructive, but I'm going to try.

You didn't provide the details that created the OOA situation, making impossible for anyone to learn from others diving mistakes. As you say that wasn't the reason you posted.

But there are things you wrote that frankly need to be acknowledged:

"While we were getting our gear ready and waiting on tanks, I brought up the OOA situation that killed two divers in Marathon the week before "
New divers are all ready task loaded and you want to discuss this topic? Now? Why in the world? All this does is cause them to second guess their training and over think rather than react as they were instructed. A better conversation would have been the incrediable experience they were about to have compared to the muck they trained in.

" Once on board, both OOA divers treated the event very casually, as if the whole thing was normal. The guy that was air sharing said that he didn't need the captain's help and could have made it to the surface just fine. They were all laughing, smiling, and acting normal."
This is one of a couple normal reactions and runs it course with a lot of good hard earned lessons if handled correctly.

"The captain talked to them about the event, re-explained appropriate procedures, following rules, checking air frequently, coming up with 500psi, etc. But I must say the captain was more calm about it than I was."
The Captain seemed to be handling things just fine... his boat his rules.

"I went into Mr. Mom mode and gave them the riot act."
Some joe-blow-I-don't-know sticking his two cents in is not helpful.
Egos and confidence were already blown, they had already gotten a dressing down by the Captain. So unless they asked you directly, they didn't want nor need your opinion.

which I made them practice before we left the dock
Does this one really need to be commented on? Hello Scuba Police?
Unless your taking personal responsibility and liability for the group its better not to volenteer to retrain them.

I even emailed one of the offenders today to reinterate how stupid it was
To what end? Better to encourage them to get back in the water after talking the situation through with thier instructors.

Once on board, both OOA divers treated the event very casually, as if the whole thing was normal. The guy that was air sharing said that he didn't need the captain's help and could have made it to the surface just fine. They were all laughing, smiling, and acting normal.

There's a cure for this behavior ... one of the popular dive ops I use in British Columbia has a house rule ... if you come back with an empty tank, you're done diving for the day.

Tends to make folks pay a bit more attention to their air supply ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

What I have seen more and more, for what's it worth, is rec divers or holiday divers that know if they dive to only about 40-50 feet unobstructed, they can have an OOA and not really worry too much because they can reach the surface.

It's ALL completely wrong of course and they are putting themselves and their buddy at risk, but to be honest, I don't think they care.

As long as they can get in the water a few times a year and sight see and NOT kill themselves, the trip is a success. They don't worry about techniques, procedures, proper methods and training, or even emergency procedures. As long as they can get to the surface on 1 breath they feel like they are good to go.

Like I said, ALL WRONG, but I feel like that is the mindset of ALOT of these types of divers, and this is mostly when and how these incidents occur.

JMO

There's a cure for this behavior ... one of the popular dive ops I use in British Columbia has a house rule ... if you come back with an empty tank, you're done diving for the day.

Tends to make folks pay a bit more attention to their air supply ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I LIKE that ALOT GD!

I'm kinda on the fence regarding your actions.

The captain decided he would take the inexperienced couples in his dive group and me and the other guy would take the dive flag and lead.
The captain is diving with them, it's his boat, so he's assumed responsibility for them.

I spent a lot of the ride out talking about how to prevent dive accidents...not breaking any rules, multi-systematic failures, etc.
I'm not sure how I would have reacted to another random diver who just joined the charter having this discussion with me. That's what the crew is there for, seems a bit out of place for you to address all of this beforehand with people you're not even buddying with or responsible for.

I was getting ready to tell the guy to drop his weights, which I made them practice before we left the dock
This definitely seems out of line to me. It also seems like you could be opening yourself up for liability because you're providing instruction to them, whether you're an instructor or not. They get out there, have a problem, drop their weights, rocket to the surface and embolize and suddenly you're sitting in front of a jury because you encouraged them to practice dropping weights pre dive.

A few minutes later the second guy came up with the captain, air sharing.

I went into Mr. Mom mode and gave them the riot act. The captain talked to them about the event, re-explained appropriate procedures, following rules, checking air frequently, coming up with 500psi, etc. But I must say the captain was more calm about it than I was.

I even emailed one of the offenders today to reinterate how stupid it was, although in softer, non-insulting language. On reflection, there's lots of lessons learned and things that should have been done differently. I'm not sharing this event to get those. I'm sharing this because I'm still in awe of how we shared the OOA story, discussed following rules, and how 30 minutes later half the group was OOA and not overly concerned about it. Diving with strangers often leaves behind interesting stories.

Under the circumstances I think you over reacted. They're not under your care, it's not your place to read them the riot act. If there was no captain and crew, if they were buddying directly with you, or if circumstances were a bit different then I think your reaction might be justified.

It's a tough call. I've intervened with other divers before too, but in my case I was the only one around and the divers were obviously diving beyond their level (OW entering a cave). As you presented it, I can understand your frustration, but I think you went a bit too far with it.

I'd also like to know MORE about what all happened underwater.

2 OOA on the same dive within the same group?

Not enough info IMO to get anything from this YET?

Please offer more details if you can.

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom