Two divers from Curacao... 2006NOV11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubatexastony

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
.... had a fatal dive earlier this week. One was found on the surface and the local Navy and Coast Guard have been searching for the other. Details are sketchy right now, but they were Dutch Marines, prayers of comfort for their families.

I'll update when some confirmed information comes in. My friend and co-worker knew one of the divers, and had made several dives with him and his fellow Marines.

tony

My condolences.

Do you know if they were diving for recreation or working?

Thanks for the updates.

TOM

...as I understand was near Tugboat, Caracasbaii and I believe it was just recreation. As I don't want to post any unconfirmed info, I'll leave it at that for now. There's a lot of rumors going around right now. I do know Phil (co-worker) has told me the group was doing some fairly deep air dives when he was with them.

tony

The divers lost were Dutch marines, one a practicing instructor. The dive was planned to enter at directors bay and bounce deep and end at Tug Boat. Coast Guard and Navy personnel are still searching, tri-mix divers were searching a small 3-6 meter shelf at 100 MSW+/-, then it drops off another 300 meters plus. I've seen crafts as far west as the job near the mega peir and the superior producer.

The one diver found suffered barotrauma and had an empty tank. His dive computer/ watch could not be found, maybe lost in the recovery. He did not have an analog depth guage. Phil attended the "wake" Friday, they will be missed by their comrades, friends and families.

My sympathy for their families to have lost their loved ones taking what appeared to be unnecessary risks. I hope they are both recovered and returned for proper services and burial.
Many thanks to those that risk their lives to look and recover others, whether it's their job or not.

Ah.... It scares me when I read about an accident at a place I liked. When we dove the tug boat in Feb it seemed so easy. I don't remember the drop off at all.... Hope the divers are recovered and the families can find some peace. Condolences and prayers to the families.

Our dives at the tugs was washed out due to the search. I know the helicopters were out and frigates all looking for the body. Very unfortunate.

BTW TexasTony, thanks for moving the concrete blocks so we could get in to dive the Superior Producer. Folks at the Dive Bus Co were thrilled!

.....we were busy all week till late nights, it would have been nice to make some dives with the groups that came down. Mark and Suzy are good friends and truely fun to dive or just hang out with.

Sounds like you guys had a good time!

scubatexastony:
.....we were busy all week till late nights, it would have been nice to make some dives with the groups that came down. Mark and Suzy are good friends and truely fun to dive or just hang out with.

Sounds like you guys had a good time!

Freakin awesome people. Too bad we couldn't have hooked up.

Any word on the missing diver?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom