Two-day Photography Expedition to Five Fathom Pinnacle/Kaula Rock/Niihau/Lehua Rock

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teksimple

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Announcing a two-day photography expedition to Five Fathom Pinnacle/Kaula Rock/Niihau/Lehua Rock!

Five Fathom Pinnacle is a submerged seamount some forty plus miles west of Kauai, three miles offshore of the tiny islet called Kaula Rock. Exposed to currents and the open ocean, it is not a dive site for beginners. It takes an arduous boat ride to get there, by any one's definition.

Nevertheless, for the few people that have descended into the waters around the Pinnacle, the rewards of diving it have always been worth the journey. Monk seals, sharks, massive schools of fish, and...more sharks. The last time this diver visited the Pinnacle on Mother's Day of 2007, he encountered a half dozen monk seals, throngs of grey reef sharks, and even a few hammerheads. Not to mention a pair of courting humpback whales.

In fact, the predator dominated underwater environment found at Five Fathom Pinnacle has much to do with its distance from civilization. Only "underfished" environments with large prey turnover will ever have predators dominating the biomass pyramid. Five Fathom Pinnacle is such a place.

Early in the morning on Saturday, 23 May 2009 (Memorial Day weekend), the 35' dive vessel Kealii O Ke Kai will voyage from Poipu, Kauai to Five Fathom Pinnacle with five underwater photographers and two crew. The itinerary includes a full day of diving on Five Fathom Pinnacle after which the Kealii O Ke Kai will moor overnight somewhere in the lee of Niihau. Sunday, 24 May will include a day of diving near Kaula Rock, Lehua Rock or Niihau Island, depending on where conditions dictate the best diving, and the boat will return to Poipu, Kauai late in the evening. Note that the Kealii O Ke Kai offers plenty of space for five divers, but the overnight accommodations are sparse, akin to camping.

This trip is photography and marine biology-oriented for advanced divers ONLY, with the minimum recommended experience of 300 dives in Hawaiian or similar waters. Remember that the nearest recompression chamber is a half-day boat ride and a plane flight away. Susceptibility to seasickness is a definite contraindication. Participants should expect the seas to be typically rough, as Five Fathom Pinnacle offers no protection from the trade winds.

The cost is $625, which includes food and refreshments, and three tanks per day. Nitrox is highly recommended and is available at additional cost. Please understand that rigorous participant screening will be done to ensure a safe and enjoyable trip, and that modifications to the projected itinerary can happen at any time in the interest of safety.

PM or send me an email, if you are interested in participating in this expedition. I look forward to capturing some great images with you!

- Kent

That sounds incredible! If I was going to be in the state then, I'd jump on that opportunity!

Have fun... and be sure to share some of the photos here! :D

To clarify to some who have questioned including Kaula Rock in the itinerary. Kaula Rock itself is a restricted area. However, diving outside of the 3-mile restricted area (such as at Five Fathom Pinnacle) is OK. Notice how I only said *near* Kaula Rock.

(a) Danger zones ?1) Aerial bombing and strafing target surrounding Kaula Rock, Hawaii. The waters within a circular area with a radius of three (3) miles having its center on Kaula Rock at latitude 21Ž°39'30", longitude 160Ž°32'30".

(b) The regulations. No person, vessel or other craft shall enter or remain in any of the areas at any time except as authorized by the enforcing agency.

I mentioned Kaula Rock since that was the nearest land object to Five Fathom Pinnacle that you could find on Google Earth. Sorry if that confused some people who thought I intended to break some rules:no: with this trip.

Back
Top Bottom