Two AL80's from 1987

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StreetDoctor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I bought these for $50 last year, they had been out of hydro for a couple years. They both passed hydro and visual last year. I've read around on line and found that most aluminum tanks are good for 15 years. How long should I continue to use these for?

As long as you can get them inspected and filled. The idea that AL tanks simply wear out after 15 years is false.

Assuming your tanks are luxfers and are made out of the 6351 alloy, you might find that most shops will not fill them no matter what. Tanks from that alloy had a few well publicized problems with stress cracks in the neck, if you do a search on this forum you'll mind many threads.

If your tanks are catalinas they never used the 6351 alloy, but unfortunately many shops have decided to just avoid any old AL tanks.

And if they do stop filling them they can still be useful....

scuba-tank-lamp_small.jpg

If the cylinder is listed here:

Notice No. 94-7; Safety Advisory; High Pressure Aluminum Seamless and Aluminum Composite Hoop-Wrapped Cylinders

then read this:

Hazardous Materials: Aluminum Cylinders Manufactured of Aluminum Alloy 6351-T6 Used in SCUBA, SCBA, and Oxygen Services--Revised Requalification and Use Criteria | Federal Register Environmental Documents | USEPA

Short summary if your cylinder was made by Luxfer and is listed on the advisory then the hydro should have included a visual eddy inspection. As such, the hydro date stamp had better be followed by "VE". If the VE is not stamped take the cylinder back to the hydro station.

As for how long to use them - until you can not get them filled.

About the only tanks that have only a 15 year rated life are the Carbon Fiber/ Fiberglass composit tanks. Most SCUBA tanks, steel or aluminum, are designed over 100,000 fills. Failure is usually from abuse, not age.

If the cylinder is listed here:

Notice No. 94-7; Safety Advisory; High Pressure Aluminum Seamless and Aluminum Composite Hoop-Wrapped Cylinders

then read this:

Hazardous Materials: Aluminum Cylinders Manufactured of Aluminum Alloy 6351-T6 Used in SCUBA, SCBA, and Oxygen Services--Revised Requalification and Use Criteria | Federal Register Environmental Documents | USEPA

Short summary if your cylinder was made by Luxfer and is listed on the advisory then the hydro should have included a visual eddy inspection. As such, the hydro date stamp had better be followed by "VE". If the VE is not stamped take the cylinder back to the hydro station.

As for how long to use them - until you can not get them filled.

Mine are marked:CTC/DOT 3AL3000-S80 and below that P281181 Luxfer 1A87

So if I read that right I don't have anything to worry about correct? My hydro is marked " 6 with small b8 with 09 below it and then 08"

As far as not being able to get them filled... well I fill them myself so I'll ALWAYS be able to get them filled

CTC/DOT 3AL3000-S80 and below that P281181 Luxfer 1A87

As I said read the advisory :

According to Luxfer USA data, the following types of cylinders stamped as manufactured by Luxfer USA BEFORE the dates indicated below likely are made from alloy 6351-T6.

80 cu. ft............................................. S80 1-88

Deductive logic would say that because 1-87 is before 1-88 you have a cylinder made from AL-6351

So if I read that right I don't have anything to worry about correct?

No, you do having something to worry about as Al-6351 have a different level of care. Again read the new regs especially Sec. 180.209 Requalification requirements

Sec. 180.209 Requirements for requalification of specification cylinders.

(a) * * *

Table 1.--Requalification of Cylinders \1\
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Minimum test
Specification under which pressure (psig.) Requalification
cylinder was made \2\ period (years)

DOT 3AL......................... 5/3 times service 5 or 12 (see Sec.
pressure. 180.209(j) and
Sec.
180.209(m)[fxsp0]
\3\ ).

\1\ Any cylinder not exceeding 2 inches outside diameter and less than 2
feet in length is excepted from volumetric expansion test.
\2\ For cylinders not marked with a service pressure, see Sec.
173.301(e)(1) of this subchapter.
\3\ This provision does not apply to cylinders used for carbon dioxide,
fire extinguisher or other industrial gas service.

(m) DOT-3AL cylinders manufactured of 6351-T6 aluminum alloy. In
addition to the periodic requalification and marking described in Sec.
180.205, each cylinder manufactured of aluminum alloy 6351-T6 used in
self-contained underwater breathing apparatus (SCUBA), self-contained
breathing apparatus (SCBA), or oxygen service must be requalified and
inspected for sustained load cracking in accordance with the non-
destructive examination method described in the following table. Each
cylinder with sustained load cracking that has expanded into the neck
threads must be condemned in accordance with Sec. 180.205(i). This
provision does not apply to cylinders used for carbon dioxide, fire
extinguisher or other industrial gas service.

Requalification and Inspection of DOT-3AL Cylinders Made of Aluminum Alloy 6351-T6
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sustained Load Cracking Requalification
Requalification requirement Examination procedure \1\ Condemnation Criteria \2\ period (years)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eddy current examination combined with Eddy current--In Any crack in the neck or 5
visual inspection. accordance with Appendix shoulder of 2 thread
C of this part. lengths or more.
Visual inspection--In
accordance with CGA
Pamphlet C-6.1 (IBR; see
Sec. 171.7 of this
subchapter).
\1\ The requalifier performing eddy current must be familiar with the eddy current equipment and must
standardize (calibrate) the system in accordance with the requirements provided in Appendix C to this part.
\2\ The eddy current must be applied from the inside of the cylinder's neck to detect any sustained load
cracking that has expanded into the neck threads.

My hydro is marked " 6 with small b8 with 09 below it and then 08"

This cylinder has not been properly re-qualified as there is no indication that an eddy current test was performed. As noted above the eddy current test is required for cylinders made from Al-6351. Read Sec. 180.213 Requalification markings and note part (f) (9). This is section I noted in my first posting.

Sec. 180.213 Requalification markings.

(d) Requalification markings. Each cylinder successfully passing
requalification must be marked with the RIN set in a square pattern,
between the month and year of the requalification date. The first
character of the RIN must appear in the upper left corner of the square
pattern; the second in the upper right; the third in the lower right;
and the fourth in the lower left. Example: A cylinder requalified in
September 2006, and approved by a person who has been issued RIN
``A123'', would be marked plainly and permanently into the metal of the
cylinder in accordance with location requirements of the cylinder
specification or on a metal plate permanently secured to the cylinder
in accordance with paragraph (b) of this section. An example of the
markings prescribed in this paragraph (d) is as follows:

A1
9 06 X

Where:

``9'' is the month of requalification

``A123'' is the RIN

``06'' is the year of requalification, and

``X'' represents the symbols described in paragraphs (f)(2) through
(f)(9) of this section.

(f) (9) For designation of the eddy current examination combined with a
visual inspection, the marking is as illustrated in paragraph (d) of
this section, except the ``X'' is replaced with the letters ``VE.''

If this cylinder was brought to me to fill I would reject it for not being properly re-qualified. If it was me I would go back to the hydro facility with the regs in hand and have a little chat with the owner. Part of this chat would include asking for my money in exchange for educating them on the DOT rules.

BTW if you are filling cylinders yourself it would behoove you to read the regs as well or really RTFM.

Last edited:
BTW Is this who did the hydro?

RIN B890 <- which part of the hydro stamp noted above.

Aurora Tri State Fire Protection
1080 Corporate Blvd.
Aurora, IL 60504

Industrial (high and low pressure cylinders)
3/17/2006

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom