Two AL80's from 1987

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BTW Is this who did the hydro?

B890
Aurora Tri State Fire Protection
1080 Corporate Blvd.
Aurora, IL 60504

Industrial (high and low pressure cylinders)
3/17/2006

Thank you very much, I'm not sure who did it I know the dive shop I took them too has an outside company do there hydrotests.

SD, take the cylinder back to Aurora Tri State Fire Protection and ask for James. Or at least call I think they will straighten this omission out but your cylinder probably did have an eddy current test but they did not know about marking them as such. They seems pretty up to date overall.

Either way as long as the cylinder passes hydro, visual, and in your case an "Eddy" you can indeed get it filled. There are some special permit tanks which can no longer be used but in your case the worry is simply about the quality of the material and in all technicality That alloy isn't "bad", it just has a spotty history.

If your filling your tanks yourself your going to be fine as far as getting fills but due to the nature of the material you should still get them Eddy tested and do a good visual on them yearly to catch any cracking early.

I bought these for $50 last year, they had been out of hydro for a couple years. They both passed hydro and visual last year. I've read around on line and found that most aluminum tanks are good for 15 years. How long should I continue to use these for?

Those tanks are the inferior alloy that has potential for neck cracks, essentially you have scrap metal. N

I cant get over how so many people simply consider the 6351 alloy tanks as junk. They simply require a different test standard. We were all diving them without hesitation for years and years. Now they suddenly don't work? Come on. I own a total of 5 tanks. 2 current 6061 aluminum 80s, a 6351 aluminum 80 and a pair of 6351 aluminum 63s and wouldnt hesitate to use any one over the others. As long as they continue to pass hydro and visual+ inspections, I'll keep using them.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom