Twinset Manifold Making Sound

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Derelict

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Tanks were just recently hydro tested, and the manifold was checked over.

So I had my twinset filled today as per usual. But when I got it home I could hear a creaking/croaking sort of sound coming from the centre of the manifold. Turning on the air, or closing the manifold doesn't take away the sound. I've tried to see if there's a leak with some soapy water without finding anything.

Does anybody have any experience with something like this? Should be I be concerned?

I would advise emptying them and getting them checked to see if it's all put together right. I've been diving with a double set for a long time and I've never head the manifold make a noise before.

R..

The isolator valve's o-ring is more than likely gone. I have only seen it once. Thank God we discovered it during a fill. Should you be concerned? Hell yes! If the isolator o-ring fails, you have no way to shut down and the gas will continue to drain.

The isolator valve's o-ring is more than likely gone. I have only seen it once. Thank God we discovered it during a fill. Should you be concerned? Hell yes! If the isolator o-ring fails, you have no way to shut down and the gas will continue to drain.

Ah. Is that an easy fix? It's a pain because like I mentioned I just had them serviced recently, plus filled yesterday.

Last edited:
Hmm, so I left the tanks overnight. Just having a look now and the sound has stopped, plus the air is at the same level it was last night.

Could perhaps maybe some water got inside or something? Weird...

Hmm, so I left the tanks overnight. Just having a look now and the sound has stopped, plus the air is at the same level it was last night.

Could perhaps maybe some water got inside or something? Weird...

OK, my story. My buddy and I have been thru equipment classes but never has anyone ever talked about the isolator due mainly to the fact that it is seldom used. While we were filling, we heard a leak. Shut down the right tank, no relief. Shut down thew left tank, no relief. Shut down the isolator, still no relief. The tanks finally settled down to around 150-200 psi. So we broke down the entire set and all looked great. Finally the isolator was broke down. There only crumbs of a once o-ring. The real concern was when we were talking about the tanks and the last time that they were used. A team dive with some going to 300' and me going to 256 ffw with self deco. Talk about raising the hairs up on the back of your neck! Please do not just brush this off as something "weird." You heard air escaping so please address the issue before you dive them. If you are using doubles then you more than likely doing something on the tech. side. I cannot believe that you heard air escaping and the pressure is the same. OBTW, what did the soap / water test show. FWIW, I ma only concerned about your safety

Ah. Is that an easy fix? It's a pain because like I mentioned I just had them serviced recently, plus filled yesterday.

Very easy to fix but you will need a rebuilt kit. I would question if the shop tore down the isolater. Also it does not mean that o-rings cannot get screwed up during the process.

I've been diving with a double set for a long time and I've never head the manifold make a noise before..

This.

Having said that, the fact that the set has just been reassembled makes me wonder if something is a bit out of alignment and what you heard was things "settling". One less drastic test might be to slowly drain the tanks to 500 psi or something, then refill, and see if there is a sound again.

Although as others have said, it's probably best to pull the manifold and service it anyway.

OK, my story. My buddy and I have been thru equipment classes but never has anyone ever talked about the isolator due mainly to the fact that it is seldom used. While we were filling, we heard a leak. Shut down the right tank, no relief. Shut down thew left tank, no relief. Shut down the isolator, still no relief. The tanks finally settled down to around 150-200 psi. So we broke down the entire set and all looked great. Finally the isolator was broke down. There only crumbs of a once o-ring. The real concern was when we were talking about the tanks and the last time that they were used. A team dive with some going to 300' and me going to 256 ffw with self deco. Talk about raising the hairs up on the back of your neck! Please do not just brush this off as something "weird." You heard air escaping so please address the issue before you dive them. If you are using doubles then you more than likely doing something on the tech. side. I cannot believe that you heard air escaping and the pressure is the same. OBTW, what did the soap / water test show. FWIW, I ma only concerned about your safety
Thanks for the concern and the explanation. I'm actually not doing tech stuff yet, just upgraded to the twins to get used to using them and get a bit extra bottom time when I do a boat dive. Tech stuff is where I do want to aim for, but that probably won't be this year.

I've got a shallow shore dive on Thursday afternoon, and I'm going to my LDS who did the service (and they're a really good shop, one of the best in the country) beforehand so I'll see what they say about it.

Thanks for the advice everybody here. Just a pain in the ass that I didn't hear anything before I spent $20 on an air fill :banghead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom