Twin Lakes-Fishing for Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Went to Twin Lakes Saturday Morning for the first time just to get wet and check it out. It is ok viz not that great however the fish made things interesting. My question is why do they let people fish off the entrance docks? or fish there at all? It was a little concerning jumping in when there was four people fishing off the dock that we geared up on...coming back u/w all I coud think about is being hooked...This is my first experience of diving with people fishing..

We've all asked the same thing. Best thing to do is tell MIke, the owner, how you feel about it. Maybe if he realizes he could/will lose divers ($12) over the fishing ($5) he'll change things.

Dee:
We've all asked the same thing. Best thing to do is tell MIke, the owner, how you feel about it. Maybe if he realizes he could/will lose divers ($12) over the fishing ($5) he'll change things.

Thanks Dee. Mike is a nice guy. I did bring an issue to him when I was there on Saturday. I wanted to dive Friday early afternoon so I decided to go to Twin Lakes and fill up my tanks and dive. I arrived at Twin Lakes and asked the lady if she can fill up my tanks. She stated that they do not fill tanks during the week. I was not happy after driving there and it did not state on the website that they do not fill tanks during the week. She told me to go to I45 or Westheimer to get air...I mentioned this to Mike and he asked if she offered to rent us some tanks. No, she did not I wish she did....anyway Mike said that he was going to talk to her and put it on the website...

Yep, there's a lot of things that can be done out there......some cost money, some don't. And yes, Mike is losing money, particularly during the week on divers because he has a compressor out there and won't fill tanks. Most divers show up with a full tank, and would at least have it filled up again before they leave so it is ready for their next dive. Some may even fill one up twice...once for extra dives and one for the road, so to speak. That's more money than fishermen.

A sad thing would be to see it go the way other locations in the area have gone...becoming unkempt swimming holes where scuba divers dare to go.

We did have some swimmers and fishermen arrive on the dock we were using during the middle of the week.

Regards,

goofystan:
My question is why do they let people fish off the entrance docks? or fish there at all? It was a little concerning jumping in when there was four people fishing off the dock that we geared up on...coming back u/w all I coud think about is being hooked...This is my first experience of diving with people fishing..

I have dove around people fishing before and I thought to myself, if I were to brush up on a line and the *SOB* topside set the hook . I agree, fisherman and divers are not a good mix.

just my .02
Dave

Last time I was there there was some people fishing on the dock but Sheryl told them no fishing while divers were in the water. I think the fisherman should use the other lake and leave my pets alone not to mention the risk to divers.

Back
Top Bottom