Twin Cylinder Wing Move to Donut

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello Michael,

I have both, OMS horseshoe wings (2), and a Scuba Pro XTEK donut.

The HS wings are wider, I personally feel that they let me balance out better, Like a tight rope walker with a little longer balance beam.

I dive with double high pressure steel 80's.

All the best,

Rose

I would pay money for your experience. So far my experience is a little difference. My trim is terrible, I am adjusting everything, from fins to plate and bladder location to actually using weights (ankles). I am also seeing a lot of Taco effect using the Apeks HS. Now, I only have around 6 hours of actual dive time on the HS, but so far its been a pain. I am feeling like a absolute beginner. Its getting better,

the comment was not to get people to get into cave diving or any type of diving , More than in NFla it is cave country and the water temp is 70 +- and ds's are used to counter the long exposure to the 70F where with out a DS your core temps drop too much. because you use a DS the weighting changes ans so does the wing design and lift attributes.

for whats it is worth I don't share the same experience as you with Cave country. they have always served me well as far as anything I go to them for. I have no clue what you mean by NO REASON TO LEARN, and honestly the comment surprises me coming form an instructor. Perhaps its just a difference in agency positions on issues,, I dont know. As far as the 4 hour course goes. could it be that the instructor felt you did not need the time devoted to learn skills you probably already had. Its not unusual to have an instructor (as you should know) observe you in the water and know just what the remaining of the training time needs to focus on. One would argue that you had the skills for the cert when you signed up but not the card. then a little professional courtesy and it was all done with.

Yes, this is late but, I apologize for my reply. No reason for me to reply like an A Hole. I would like to blame the craziness of 2021, but there is no excuse. Please except my apology.

I have to give the Intro Instructor props, for setting his gear up for me. I did look pretty good watching the video, not perfect but good and passable. The gear I purchased and am using, not so much.

I would pay money for your experience. So far my experience is a little difference. My trim is terrible, I am adjusting everything, from fins to plate and bladder location to actually using weights (ankles). I am also seeing a lot of Taco effect using the Apeks HS. Now, I only have around 6 hours of actual dive time on the HS, but so far its been a pain. I am feeling like a absolute beginner. Its getting better,

Yes, this is late but, I apologize for my reply. No reason for me to reply like an A Hole. I would like to blame the craziness of 2021, but there is no excuse. Please except my apology.

I have to give the Intro Instructor props, for setting his gear up for me. I did look pretty good watching the video, not perfect but good and passable. The gear I purchased and am using, not so much.

Hello again Michael,

As I mentioned in my first post, a horse shoe wing is wider, has no bottom rigidity, and unless it's cinched/bungeed, it will tend to wrap itself around a single tank.

Contact your LDS and see if you can't borrow/short term rent a donut wing, they are narrower, and less likely to wrap themselves around a single cylinder.

No mention of where you're practicing, I strongly suggest a pool, with guidance, and some extra components, so you have an opportunity to see what works best for you.

Your wing should be matched with your cylinder/lift requirements, just as an example, you don't need a sixty pound lift HS ocean wing, diving with a 3mm shorty and a 3AL80.

Merry Christmas,

Rose.

I thought this was interesting describing the positives and negatives of the horseshoe vs donut.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom