Twin Cylinder Wing Move to Donut

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Micheal

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I noticed that Apeks, have moved from a Horse shoe design to a donut on their Twin Cylinder Wings. I am in the market for my first one, and curious about the benefit or change. I found a shop selling the older Horse shot dual bladder for $200. Should I just get it, or the new donut that much better.

Thanks.

can vent head down with the donut without needing to use dumps on both sides, can't trap air on one side inadvertently causing tilting to one side. but not a huge difference in the end.

if you are diving with DS and a weight belt then you may want the donut type to give extra lift at the hips. then again your horse shoe wing may be larger at the hips to compensate for not being a do nut.

I think the main advantage of a horseshoe is that you can compensate for heavy equipment on one side. You can trap more air more easily and keep it there. That's also the downside. If you have air trapped it is more work to get it out if you only have a dumpvalve on one side. With practice it can be done easily and when your trim is perfect there's no difference. I think I can handle a horseshoe better now than early on. I'm still happy with my switch from years ago though.

Hello. How are you? I own (2) Apeks WTX45's and an Apeks WTX6R. When, I bought them that was one of my considerations, in regard to having the bladder/cell being continuous on the bottom. Ultimately, I wanted my bottles to come down past the cell without interference, and chose the older style. I have to date "Not." experienced any "Trapped air" which was Apeks reasoning with the new design, and designation of WTX-D
P.D.F. Excerpt...."WTX-D buoyancy cells have a flow-through design that allows for a more even distribution of air compared to more traditional buoyancy cells."
P.D.F. Excerpt...Narrow at Top for Full Access to Valves and Regulators Apeks buoyancy cells are designed to be slim at the top to allow the diver’s head to tilt back, encourage proper hose placement and to assure that the diver has easy access to the manifold valves.
With these factors known, I still prefer to have bottom dumps on both sides.
Naturally, with the advent of the new "D" series the WTX series is cheaper, and you could potentially save money.
I have stated numerous times on S.B. "Dive with what you like, and what your'e comfortable with.
Edit: For $200.00 I would buy two of them......:cool:
Cheers.
WTX6R.jpg

https://www.apeksdiving.com/us/images/downloads/Owners-Manual_WTX-D_Buoyancy_System.pdf
Apeks WTX Harness With D-60R Buoyancy Cell And SureLock Weight Pouches | eBay
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HBURMXA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
View media item 209673

Attachments

• WTX6R.jpg
    WTX6R.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 76
When I switched from horseshoe to doughnut, it took me a while to get used to NOT "parking" air.

if you are diving with DS and a weight belt then you may want the donut type to give extra lift at the hips. then again your horse shoe wing may be larger at the hips to compensate for not being a do nut.

This intrigues me. I am hips. heavy. I recently switched from a Ranger (horseshoe) to a BP/W config, with trim weights on the upper band. In Freshwater, I am negatively buoyant naked, and with a the BP/W on a AL63. I have adjusted the bladder onto the bottom holes, and raise the tanks towards the top, with 2lbs trim, and my lower half still drops. On Doubles, I sink like a Rock, and rather not use a lot of trim. Extra hip lift, may be a good thing for me.

Thanks all, Probably go head and pick up the bladder today.

This intrigues me. I am hips. heavy. I recently switched from a Ranger (horseshoe) to a BP/W config, with trim weights on the upper band. In Freshwater, I am negatively buoyant naked, and with a the BP/W on a AL63. I have adjusted the bladder onto the bottom holes, and raise the tanks towards the top, with 2lbs trim, and my lower half still drops. On Doubles, I sink like a Rock, and rather not use a lot of trim. Extra hip lift, may be a good thing for me.

Thanks all, Probably go head and pick up the bladder today.
Get (2) :)
Cheers.

I noticed that Apeks, have moved from a Horse shoe design to a donut on their Twin Cylinder Wings. I am in the market for my first one, and curious about the benefit or change. I found a shop selling the older Horse shot dual bladder for $200. Should I just get it, or the new donut that much better.

Thanks.

Hello Michael,

I have both, OMS horseshoe wings (2), and a Scuba Pro XTEK donut.

The HS wings are wider, I personally feel that they let me balance out better, Like a tight rope walker with a little longer balance beam.

I dive with double high pressure steel 80's.

All the best,

Rose

I remember Tobin (DSS) having done some interesting "experiments" where he had welded the donut into a horseshoe inside the bag, and folks couldn't tell the difference....

Back
Top Bottom