TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - Sept. 2-9

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Want to travel??? Upcoming 2018-19 vacation trips:

• October 27 - November 3 - Roatan at Anthony's Key (SOLD OUT!!!)
--- STARTING TO PLAN FOR 2019 ---
• Anyone up for Easter Island??? - Perhaps January
• Perhaps a combo Yap & Truk???? - Mid-March
• Maldives for the huge Manta Ray congregation - looking at sometime in October
• How about Sea of Cortez (Cabo Pulmo) in November?

GET MORE INFO ON ALL OF OUR VACATION TRIPS HERE: Foreign Trips
————————————————————————
Upcoming local dives & classes:

• Thu., Sept. 6 - Redondo - Night Dive (FREE!!)
• Sat., Sept. 15 - Catalina Express - Avalon Underwater Park ($150 - early departure, early return)
• Thu., Sept. 20 - CLASS - PHOTO WORKSHOP @ Reef Seekers Westwood ($25)
• Thu., Oct. 4 - Redondo - Night Dive (FREE!!)
• Sat., Oct. 13 - Catalina Express - Avalon Underwater Park ($150 - three dives)

To sign up for any of these dives, either call us at 310/652-4990 or e-mail us at kenkurtis@aol.com
————————————————————————

You just got the newsletter AND it's a holiday weekend, so this will be short . . .

SEA OF CORTEZ IN 2019? - I am regularly asked if we'll ever go back to the Sea of Cortez, where we had FABULOUS trips for 26 years in a row, and my answer is always the same: Not until there's a liveaboard there again. Looks like that time is now. You can read all the details in the newsletter but the short version is that nautilus is going to have the Nautilus Gallant Lady perched as a mothership in Cabo Pulmo, probably one of the healthiest marine protected areas in the world, and we're going to look to go back again in 2019. The boat only takes 12 but I'm also open to the idea of back-to-back trips. Check out the newsletter for full details and let me know if you're interested. I'm somewhat exited about the prospects of this one.

REDONDO THIS WEEK - We'll see how conditions are but we're scheduled for a night dive this Thursday at Redondo's Vets Park. No squid this time of the year and the viz has been a bit squirrely but we shall see. Make sure you let me know if you're interested or not because it's sometimes a 3PM game-day decision of go/no-go. But we've had some great dives there in the past and perhaps this will add to our list.

FEES ON CHECKED BAGS GOING UP - Jet Blue was first and United followed right behind. Others are expected to follow as well. basically, the fee for bag #1 will go to $30 and the fee for bag #2 goes to $40. So on a roundtrip, that's an extra $140. Do four trips a year (not necessarily dive trips, just trips where you fly) and that's $560 annually. Which makes cards like the United Club Card, which cost $495 a year but includes two free bags every trip AND membership in United Club, a bargain. But the point is that if you pay for bags, you're going to start paying more effective immediately. here's an article about it: https://www.bizjournals.com/…/united-airlines-raising-check… .

NOT DIVE-RELATED BUT A MOVIE RECOMMENDATION - If you're an optimist and dreamer like me, you're going to like "Tomorrowland." I accidentally stumbled across it the other night on TBS and was enchanted. (Even cried a bit at the end.) It airs again tonight (Sunday) at 9:30PM and then again next Saturday (9/8) at 5:30PM and Sunday (9/9) at 2:30PM. And while I'm channeling Siskel & Ebert . . . Tomorrow night (Monday 9/3) CNN is airing the 2-hour documentary about Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg simply titled "RBG" at 6PM and 9PM. Repeats next Sunday (9/9) at 5PM and 7PM. Friends of mine who have already seen this in a theater have raved about it.

And that'll do it for now. Have a great Labor Day and week and let's go diving soon!!!

- Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom