TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) . . . LIVE FROM NEWARK, NEW JERSEY!!! - May 28 - June 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
————————————————————————————————————————————
Want to travel??? Upcoming 2017 vacation trips:

• July 7-19 - Yap Immersion #1 (special 13-day trip featuring all that Yap has to offer)
[ LIMITED TO 12 DIVERS - 6 SPOTS LEFT ]
• July 21-August 2 - Yap Immersion #2 (week #2 - same sked as above)
[ LIMITED TO 12 DIVERS - 6 SPOTS LEFT ]
• September 1-6 - Great White Sharks of Guadalupe on the Nautilus Belle Amie [ ONLY 1 SPOT LEFT ]
• November 2-12 - Fiji (SW area near Suva) on the Fiji Aggressor [ SOLD OUT!!! ]

GET MORE INFO ON ALL OF OUR VACATION TRIPS HERE: www.reefseekers.com/foreign_trips.html
————————————————————————————————————————————
Upcoming local dives & classes:

• DIVE - Sat., 6/24 (NOTE DATE CHANGE) - Avalon UW Park ($150)

To sign up for any of these dives, either call us at 310/652-4990 or e-mail us at kenkurtis@aol.com

———————————————————————————————————————————
The subject line doesn't have the ring of "LIVE FROM NEW YORK" but it's accurate . . .

TRULY IN NEWARK, NEW JERSEY - I was in New York over the weekend for the memorial we held for my dad on Saturday at Yankee Stadium, since he was a Yankees fan and all of our relatives live in New York. So it seemed to make sense that it was easier for my sister Susie & I to fly into NYC. I flew into Newark (EWR) and actually stayed in Fort Lee, N.J., right over the George Washington Bridge from Yankee Stadium so getting there and back (we also went to the Sunday game) was easy-peasy. This was the first time I'd been to the "new" Yankee Stadium (which opened in 2009) and we also got a private tour of Monument Park, where they have plaques of all the Yankee greats, as well as the Yankee Museum, where they've got all kinds of momentos, including a project to get an autogrpahed baseball from every person who ever played for the Yankees over the years. (And yes, they have a Babe Ruth.) It was a lovely day on all kinds of levels (plus the Yankees won an exicitng game 3-2) and if you'd like to see some of the pix - which are mostly of the stadium with a couple of family shots as well - here's the link: Yankee Stadium (GJO memorial) - kenkurtis.

AVALON DATE CHANGE - I now have a schedule conflict (a friend died suddenly and his service is this Saturday) so I am changing the planned Avalon trip to Saturday, June 24. We'll most likely take the 8:45AM going over and the 5:30PM coming back. $150 covers you for ferry, taxi, tanks & airfills, and fun. Call us at 310/652-4990 if you'd like to sign up. Sorry that I've been bumping things around a bit but, as the saying goes, life gets in the way.

RARE SHARK ENCOUNTER - Up until 1976, no one had ever seen a Megamouth Shark (not to be confused with a Basking Shark). Since that time, 102 specimens have been discovered and now there's one more. About a week ago, another one was sighted off of eastern japan and photographed. The sad part of this is that the animal apparently died the next day, and there appears to be some controversy about where or not the efforts to photograph the animal may have factored in. But it's still an incredible story and you can see the pix and read the details here: Rare megamouth shark freed from fishing net in Japan (VIDEO).

WHAT'S THE MOST DEADLY ANIMAL IN THE WORLD? - You likely already know it's NOT a shark but what would your guess be? According to recent stats, try . . . mosquito. Mosquito-borne malaria kills some 2,000,000 people a year worldwide, making them the deadliest animal on the planet.

USE ROBERT OUR REPAIR GUY AS A RESOURCE - In the same way that many times people will call me about travel questions, even when it doesn't involve a Reef Seekers trip, you should also feel free to use our repair guru Robert Stark as a resource when it comes to equipment or repair questions. Robert's a wealth of information and is happy to give you advice about things like whether it's time to upgrade your 20-year-old reg (because we can't get parts anymore) or whether configuration A is better than configuration B on a setup or whatever is one your mind. Robert can be reached directly at our dedicated repair phone, which is 310/947-8523.

YAP IS STILL BECKONING - We're a little over a month away from Yap Immersion #1 (and six week until #2) and we can add people last-minute if you've been thinking about it. There's room at Manta Ray Bay and room on the plane flights (airfare has amazingly not budged in 6 months and is still holding at $2,022). But if you're interested, give us a call at 310/652-4990 and we'll get you signed up.

And that'll do it for now. Have a great Memorial Day week and let’s go diving soon!!!

- Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom