TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - April 28 - May 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Feeling better, Octo Oscar, Ch-Day, and more
(please scroll down for details)

On the mend . . .

THANK YOU TO THOSE WHO SENT A NOTE - The delay in this week's TWARS was due to my picking up some sort of nasty viral infection that was not COVID or flu (tested negative for both) but which really knocked the wind out of my sails for two days and appeared literally overnight without warning. Very high fever (up to 104º), body aches, and exhausted, but no respiratory issues. Obviously, these days we are all understandably anxious and paranoid that the least little malady might be the start of something deadly so I went to my local urgent care clinic to get their assessment and to be tested. (They did a chest x-ray too, which came back normal.) Whatever it was, I wouldn't wish on anyone. Sort of a bad flu (not like there's a GOOD flu) but I seem to be on the mend and will take it easy for another couple of days. Thanks to all who sent e-mails and made phone calls. Your concerns were very much appreciated. Onward . . .

MY OCTOPUS TEACHER WINS THE OSCAR - Congrats to them. If you haven't seen it, it's still available on Netflix. Dr. Bill made the comment, and I have to concur somewhat, that the film seems to encourage people to go find animals underwater that they can handle and this is something that we generally discourage. But with that in mind, it's an interesting film to watch.

CHAMBER DAY/EVE 2021 FINAL PUSH - It's still not to late to make a contribution. We're in OK shape overall but we definitely need some more "divers" on the virtual day boats and the Flying Dutchman. Remember, this is the major fund-raiser for our Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber, accounting for 50% of the annual budget, and it's like buying an insurance policy. You hope you'll never need it, but you'll be glad it's there if you do. Go to www.chamberday.org and hit SIGN UP NOW. We know the website can seem a bit clunky so if you have problems, feel free to call or text us at Chamber Day HQ (310/652-4990) and we'll try to help you through it. And don't forget to check our our two webcasts next Wednesday, Noon-1 for Chamber Day and 7-9PM for Chamber Eve. Links forthcoming.

GET INSPIRED - My friend Nancy Caruso runs a non-profit in Orange County called "Get Inspired," which focuses on local habitat restoration - lots of focus on kelp and abalone replanting - as well as working with kids to help them understand why the ocean is so important to us and how kids can help keep it healthy. They produced a very nice short animated video of what they do and why and I thought you might want to take a peek: GET INSPIRED VIDEO. (And if you've got a few bucks to throw their way, that would be appreciated too.)

And that'll do it for now. Have a great week, wear your mask, get your vaccine if you haven't already, and let's go diving soon (but not until I'm fully recovered)!!!

- Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom