Tusa RS-350 & filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CenTexDivin

Contributor
Reaction score
Directly above the center of the Earth in the Texa
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been looking around for regs and noticed that on the Tusa product list the RS-350, their flagship model, has a filter system to clean the air and remove any taste the air may have. I haven't been diving long, but I thought if your air had a funny taste, then there may be a problem such as a corrosion or oxydation that occurs when water gets into the tank. I don't think the filter could effectively remove the excess nitrogen caused by this process, but could it prevent someone from detecting a problem with their air?

...well, the most common fatal contaminant in scuba 'air' is carbon monoxide, which is odorless and tasteless anyway, and cannot be filtered out either, so a filter would be irrelevant.

Karl

is the CO2 caused by faulty filters during filling or what?
I'm wondering if this is another gimmick or gadget. I haven't been able to determine if other manufacturers use something like on their products.

....well carbon monoxide is "CO", carbon dioxide is "CO2"......CO is extremely deadly, even in very concentrations and is typically introduced into a scuba tank via an engine driven compressor with faulty exhaust systems......the scuba air intake is located too close to the exhaust pipe of the engine running the compressor, thus the contamination.
...a while back there was a famous Mexican cave diving accident where this event killed a big name in caving, it's probably on a thread here in the 'accidents' forum.
I understand many tech divers will only get fills from places with electric compressors, to minimize the chance of contamination.
Scubatoys in Dallas, TX sells the : CO Cop - Carbon Monoxide Tester @ $ 50.00
it can be hooked up to your tank or BC you you can test your fills for CO.
The most common/famous regulator filter (also sold @ Scubatoys) is the Apollo Bio Filter @ $ 150.00. I've never used one, but many divers with bad dry-mouth seem to think highly of it...... I've not really considered using it as I think I read somewhere the filter substantially reduces airflow to the 2nd stage and I'm not willing to take the performance 'hit' on my regs.

Karl

Back
Top Bottom