turtle nest being dug up.......***????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smartecosse:
i
Then there are the "scuba terrorists", two or three nations that have all the money to buy the lastest "bling" kit - no idea how to use it and generally employ dive guides that constantly "look the other way" as there customers destroy the underwater realm they have come to see - ususally by bashing it to death with the large cameras they cannot use properly or their gull fins in that lolely pearlescent colour

I highly agree that the majority of "experienced-know it all-underwater photo pro's" are doing THE most damage to the reefs and its critters. They are in general grossly overweighted, do not listen to any advice from dive crew, cannot distinquish between live and dead coral, will trash the reef just to get their (lousy) shot and start crying when there's a little bit of current, when visibility is a bit less than perfect or when the surface conditions aren't perfectly smooth.
The really sad part is that those divers have the funds and time to do several cruises a year on the most remote reefs in the world and leave their mark on those reefs.
:D

Bowmouth:
I highly agree that the majority of "experienced-know it all-underwater photo pro's" are doing THE most damage to the reefs and its critters. They are in general grossly overweighted, do not listen to any advice from dive crew, cannot distinquish between live and dead coral, will trash the reef just to get their (lousy) shot and start crying when there's a little bit of current, when visibility is a bit less than perfect or when the surface conditions aren't perfectly smooth.
The really sad part is that those divers have the funds and time to do several cruises a year on the most remote reefs in the world and leave their mark on those reefs.
:D
hehehe..

we see loads of that too...

Ringo:
Bowmouth you still at sea on the 20th? PM me if not.[/QUOTE)

Bowmouth has (unfortunately) to stay dry for a few more weeks but will be at sea on the 21th supervising crew and briefing guests. Bowmouth has been diving a little bit too much lately...:D

OK, just a quick one. Thanks to smartecosse for PM'ing me the name of the boat, which is a new one that many local agents sell. The owner is Thai and has friends in the Navy. It's the navy who take care of the turtle sanctuary on Island No.1, and according the owner of the liveaboard in question, they welcome visits and are also happy to receive gifts of food and drinks as they don't have much decent nosh on the island! According to the liveaboard owner, any digging up of turtle nests is done by the navy staff, not anyone from the liveaboard, and (if anyone can confirm this, please say so), they dig up the nests as part of their regular work to check on the eggs, then cover them again. The national park says the island is closed for diving, though.

Hmmm..I wonder what the threat is that they risk digging up the eggs
to examine them. Is there some bacterial/parasite issue the turtle eggs
are at risk? Just curious.

the threat that the "connected" liveaboard operator will stop bringing them "gifts"

MoonWrasse:
Hmmm..I wonder what the threat is that they risk digging up the eggs to examine them. QUOTE]

Risk 1: breaking eggs while digging them up.
Risk 2: hurting any newborn turtles
Risk 3: exposing eggs and hatchlings to possible predators
Risk 4: exposing the eggs to the weather. Rain may cause the eggs to rot.
Risk 5: the hatching of turtle eggs and outcome of male or female baby turtles much depends on the temperature at the depth they are laid by mother turtle. By digging up eggs and later covering them again this delicate balance may be disturbed.

Also; those people should NEVER have been on the beach of island #1 anyway; it is CLOSED and island #1 has been one of the very few PROTECTED beaches where turtles can crawl up and lay their eggs in the Andaman Sea. For years their have been soldiers guarding the eggs and making sure no-one came on the beach to steal the eggs or harrass the turtles and their hatchlings.:D

No, my question was not what the risk of disturbing the eggs was - that's clear.
I was interested in any possible reason to justify (hopefully with some scientific basis)
the disturbing of the eggs.

There are a number of turtle egg conservation programs around the world, however I
couldn't find anything on justifying disturbing the eggs.

That's what I thought too. I can't see any reason why the eggs should be disturbed. As for landing on the island, there seems to be a difference of opinion between the National Park service and the Navy! I think I will speak to aforementioned liveaboard owner again and suggest they don't land there, or risk getting a bad name (not a good idea in your first year of ops).

Back
Top Bottom