Turtle Attack!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it possible the person got caught up in the tagging equipment?

More info:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/orl-mmissing1206aug12,0,2096857.story?track=mostemailedlink

It's pretty big news here in central FL. He was in a mask, fins, wet suit, weight belt, no tank, no snorkle in 35" of water. He had people on 2 boats, but it appears, no buddy. About 400 yards from shore. Also, he was an expert at this form of catching turtles. No one has any idea what happened. Strange. I'm sure there will be a lot more to come.

Louma:
More info:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/orl-mmissing1206aug12,0,2096857.story?track=mostemailedlink

It's pretty big news here in central FL. He was in a mask, fins, wet suit, weight belt, no tank, no snorkle in 35" of water. He had people on 2 boats, but it appears, no buddy. About 400 yards from shore. Also, he was an expert at this form of catching turtles. No one has any idea what happened. Strange. I'm sure there will be a lot more to come.
Sounds like the claim the turtle attacked or drug him down is a bit over the edge.
Judging from what I read in the second article I would guess he hung on attempting to stear it up, ran out of O2 and might have actually started up and had a shallow water blackout. Having a weight belt on he would then just sink back down after passing out. If he is gone, he died doing what he loved. I know thats no comfort but it is true.

My best to the family and friends...

agree...not the turtle.

I did have a young one attack my camera once though...swimming alongside him and suddenly, he had enough and started biting my lens port like an angry dog. It was very unusual behavior.

catherine96821:
agree...not the turtle.

I did have a young one attack my camera once though...swimming alongside him and suddenly, he had enough and started biting my lens port like an angry dog. It was very unusual behavior.

I have spent a lot of time with Green Sea Turtles on Punaluu Beach and many other beaches while UH tagged, measured and cleaned them. I have also been around so many Turtles in the Carribean as well. I just don't see them having the programming for being aggressive. They are truly gentle creatures. I know nothing of the other giant sea turtles such as loggerhead's but I cannot see a 3-4 foot loggerhead tipping over a boat. Even if they do look 4-6 feet long :D underwater :wink:

Sad, and ironic. Doesn't look like we will ever know what went wrong, or at least the whole story. I can't imagine a "killer" turtle, but like any large powerfull creature, just being close can be potentially dangerous, ie. a horse can fall with no malice.

Wow - I just had to say "wow!"

I hope they change the procedures in the future to always have two in the water at a time. If he had had someone with snorkle gear on to watch him, this probably would have just been another great story to share over pizza and beer.

What an unnecessary tragedy.

Patti

LavaSurfer:
I just don't see them having the programming for being aggressive. They are truly gentle creatures.

Not saying I can see them attacking people, and in general, I agree with you, but apparently you haven't seen the same video I have of sea turtles taking the "best defense is a good offense" approach in driving off tiger sharks and bull sharks. I have seen some impressive footage of loggerheads swimming right up to a passing shark and biting him hard on the gillslits. Given the beak these creatures have, I would imagine the damage inflicted to the sharks could be quite nasty, if not fatal.

Definately doesn't sound like this incident had anything to do with an "attack", though....human error sounds much more likely.

gangrel441:
Not saying I can see them attacking people, and in general, I agree with you, but apparently you haven't seen the same video I have of sea turtles taking the "best defense is a good offense" approach in driving off tiger sharks and bull sharks. I have seen some impressive footage of loggerheads swimming right up to a passing shark and biting him hard on the gillslits. Given the beak these creatures have, I would imagine the damage inflicted to the sharks could be quite nasty, if not fatal.

Definately doesn't sound like this incident had anything to do with an "attack", though....human error sounds much more likely.

That would be cool to see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom