turning hid on above water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben_ca:
I think so... I'm sure other people smarter than me will pipe in.... After a while you'll get tired of showing it off :)

Some other things to do with your HID:
  1. Play Light Saber fencing
  2. Point out the local land marks and mountain tops
  3. Call Batman
  4. What the heck... call all the Superfriends :)
  5. Drive houshold pets crazy
  6. Drive Neighbors crazy...
  7. Fend off angry neighbors by blinding them wiht your beam
  8. ...Call superhero friends to rescue you from angry sleepless mob and pets
Oh BTW has anyone asked you why you need a 1,000 dollar flashlight :)

I almost fell out of my cair laughing when I read this. I just bought my first canister light (salvo 21W hid) and in my joy, thought about a few of these things (especially item 2, 5, 6, and I'll admit 3).

Ben_ca:
Some other things to do with your HID:
  1. Play Light Saber fencing
  2. Point out the local land marks and mountain tops
  3. Call Batman
  4. What the heck... call all the Superfriends :)
  5. Drive houshold pets crazy
  6. Drive Neighbors crazy...
  7. Fend off angry neighbors by blinding them wiht your beam
  8. ...Call superhero friends to rescue you from angry sleepless mob and pets
Oh BTW has anyone asked you why you need a 1,000 dollar flashlight :)

And is really fun for the instructor when you shine it into his eyes during a night dive....he'll love you for it, really:crafty:

alo100:
I'm still not sure how the HID light failed on land, I mean, I know that it's due to overheat, but still it seems to me that there should be more detail about how it fail.... One of the popular 10W HID light has a thermal circuit for heat detection + auto shut off, but some are still saying that it doesn't do the job.
Whereas all of us can see that HID are being used for sport cars and other vehicles without failing all the time. As some of the members here told me, a lot of HID lights bulbs are not designed for enclosed dive lights.... and I'm still trying to find out the factors...

It has been a while since I mentioned about the above i.e. the topic of this thread
Then, previously, a gentleman mentioned about this product:
http://www.polarion-store.com/pd_helios.cfm

HID good up to 165 ft depth. Also, SEEMS to have suggested that the light is good to use ON LAND AND UNDERWATER.
If that's so, does it mean that, when a suitable kinds of HID bulbs are being used (not just the bulb being used by this particular product, but, in general) for a correctly designed and manufactured (i.e. high quality), can we say, some of the HID lights are less fragile than the others? (With respect to the issue about turning the light on above water)

Any helios users or users using other brands who can comment on this, hopefully?

Are we having less fragile HID lights "nowadays"?

Turning it on above water shouldn't hurt it so long as you don't leave it on for 4 hours and let it burn up LOL.

alo100:
It has been a while since I mentioned about the above i.e. the topic of this thread
Then, previously, a gentleman mentioned about this product:
http://www.polarion-store.com/pd_helios.cfm

HID good up to 165 ft depth. Also, SEEMS to have suggested that the light is good to use ON LAND AND UNDERWATER.
If that's so, does it mean that, when a suitable kinds of HID bulbs are being used (not just the bulb being used by this particular product, but, in general) for a correctly designed and manufactured (i.e. high quality), can we say, some of the HID lights are less fragile than the others? (With respect to the issue about turning the light on above water)

Any helios users or users using other brands who can comment on this, hopefully?

Are we having less fragile HID lights "nowadays"?

I have a Helios. It works fine out of water. It has an aluminum body with a good heat path from the bulb and ballast to the body. The body will get hot which is a good sign of proper heatsinking. I wouldn't recommend going from hot-out-of-water-use to underwater use without cooling down. The thermal shock would probably crack the glass lens.

FYI: the US distributor is a diver (ex-military SEAL) and has taken this light to 265'.

Here's a pic I posted/took for comparing different wattage HIDs a while back. (10w vs. 24w vs. 40w)
dsc00854ev6.jpg

dsc00858ua8.jpg

Thank you for both replies. :)

blahblahblah:
I have a Helios. It works fine out of water. It has an aluminum body with a good heat path from the bulb and ballast to the body. The body will get hot which is a good sign of proper heatsinking. I wouldn't recommend going from hot-out-of-water-use to underwater use without cooling down. The thermal shock would probably crack the glass lens.

FYI: the US distributor is a diver (ex-military SEAL) and has taken this light to 265'.

Here's a pic I posted/took for comparing different wattage HIDs a while back. (10w vs. 24w vs. 40w)
dsc00854ev6.jpg

dsc00858ua8.jpg

It's very detail. Thumbs up for the info.

One other note on the Helios...
The light is instant-on. This is a REALLY cool feature for HIDs, as all of my others need a warm-up period of 10-30 seconds. As soon as you turn the Helios on, it's giving full brightness. However, during the first few seconds, the color will shift

FYI: If you're going to buy one, PM me and I'll let you know how to save 20% and get a free pelican case.:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom