Turneffe Flats v. Blackbird Caye Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shimon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Trying to decide which resort would be better for me, my son & wife (who does not dive but snorkels) for a pure diving experience. I understand that Flats has a big fishing crowd but have also heard that the dive parties are smaller and more focused on individual divers. Turneffe Island Resort seems a little too pish posh for us, so just intersted in these two. Thx!!!!!!!!!

Only been to the Flats, so can't comment on Resort. My wife and I were there three or four years ago, and ended up being the only divers there, and were catered to with some of the most fantastic dive experiences in our lives. We are both well-experienced divers and were taken to places that the divemaster said he hadn't been able to take most people. The food was great, and the accomodations (which I think have been upgraded since we were there) were very nice (biggest concern was turning off the individual a/c units during the day - which made afternoon privacy difficult).

And we didn't realize it going in, but the "fishing crowd" you will be dealing with isn't Larry the Cable Guy and a half dozen of his closest friends. The fishing is very upscale, and so are the people the Flats attracts. You will run into more fisherman there that go by such first names as "Your Honor" than you will the one's who go by "Bubba". Not to suggest that they are pretentious, and we met some interesting folks there around the family-style dining, just to be prepared.

We would go back in a heartbeat we loved the diving experience so much.

Only been to the Flats, so can't comment on Resort. My wife and I were there three or four years ago, and ended up being the only divers there, and were catered to with some of the most fantastic dive experiences in our lives. We are both well-experienced divers and were taken to places that the divemaster said he hadn't been able to take most people. The food was great, and the accomodations (which I think have been upgraded since we were there) were very nice (biggest concern was turning off the individual a/c units during the day - which made afternoon privacy difficult).

And we didn't realize it going in, but the "fishing crowd" you will be dealing with isn't Larry the Cable Guy and a half dozen of his closest friends. The fishing is very upscale, and so are the people the Flats attracts. You will run into more fisherman there that go by such first names as "Your Honor" than you will the one's who go by "Bubba". Not to suggest that they are pretentious, and we met some interesting folks there around the family-style dining, just to be prepared.

We would go back in a heartbeat we loved the diving experience so much.

Thank you so much, leaning that way.....

Thank you so much, leaning that way.....

We are planning to go back to the Flats within the next year or so, I will be interested in hearing your perspective if you choose them.

Upscale fishing? No "Larry the Cable Guy" types? Sounds pretty boring to me. :D

Upscale fishing? No "Larry the Cable Guy" types? Sounds pretty boring to me. :D

I'm sure it is the same crowd as El Pescador. Their fishermen and women think Orvis is a nice discount tackleshop. I have met many wonderful people while staying there. They are just not the crowd that buy bait at a gas station to fish out of a jon boat.
They are however very nice friendly people.

I have stayed at both places. I would recommend either one. We have my lawyer and a friend that we just booked at TF. Another friend had an excellent experience at Black bird last fall.

I think you will love Turneffe Atoll no matter where you stay. It is a very special place.

I'm sure it is the same crowd as El Pescador. Their fishermen and women think Orvis is a nice discount tackleshop. I have met many wonderful people while staying there. They are just not the crowd that buy bait at a gas station to fish out of a jon boat.
They are however very nice friendly people.

I'm sure many of the people there are very nice. But I've had the displeasure of meeting some that were not.

Back
Top Bottom