turks for a new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gator Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Good news. For all of you who have been advising me
about my T&C trip, my nondiving travel partner
will now be OW certified by the time we go to T&C.
My question is if the diving would be too advanced
for her at T&C? (i.e. stiff currents, too deep, etc.). Or
would it be okay for her to dive T&C, (West Caicos or
anywhere else Caicos Ad. may go).
Also how is Caicos Adventures in working with a new
diver? (or any other dive op there) Thanks.

Caicos Adventures is awesome service-wise. Tell Fifi that you want to pay a little extra to have Asa be your private DM to work with your newbie the first day. As to whether it is appropriate for a newbie I would say absolutely. There is no current the vis is outstanding and the temp is bathwater. The only potential problem is the depth on the walls. You need to be conscious of your depth. You can get real deep real quick if you are not paying attention.

Thanks for the response. That is good to know.
By the way have you dove with Dive Provo?
I am wondering if anyone has had experience
with both (Caicos/Dive Provo) just so I can get
a good comparision between the two outfits. Or between
Caicos Adv. and another outfit.

Yes, I have twice dove with Dive Provo and do not recommend it.

IMHO, you've got all you need in Caicos Adventures.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

DocVikingo:
Yes, I have twice dove with Dive Provo and do not recommend it.

IMHO, you've got all you need in Caicos Adventures.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Listen to the Doctor he knows whereof he speaks. Ask Fifi to "rent" Asa for a day. He is great with newbies and a truly first-rate person to boot.

Diving in Provo will be fine for a newbie. Warm water, good viz, lots to see, don't remember any current. Let me warn you, however, that boat rides can often be longish, depending on the operator and the site. So if anybody tends to get seasick, plan accordingly. I used Provo Turtle Divers. Giligan and the Skipper let the SS Minnow run out of gas on the way back from West Caicos. Completely unacceptable! This was about 5 years ago, so things may have changed. YYMV, but you have been warned ...

Even_Stephen:
Diving in Provo will be fine for a newbie. Warm water, good viz, lots to see, don't remember any current. Let me warn you, however, that boat rides can often be longish, depending on the operator and the site. So if anybody tends to get seasick, plan accordingly. I used Provo Turtle Divers. Giligan and the Skipper let the SS Minnow run out of gas on the way back from West Caicos. Completely unacceptable! This was about 5 years ago, so things may have changed. YYMV, but you have been warned ...

Fifi runs out of the South Dock. The water is a lot calmer although you still get some between Provo and West Caicos. Thats where the big catamarran really makes a difference. Smooth compared to a monohull dive boat.

again for everyones input.

Does anyone know how much it may cost to
"rent" Asa for a day ?

If you don't want to rent Asa, just tell them you are new. They ussually go around and ask experience anyway, but just start out by telling them. They usually split the group up in 2 or 3 smaller groups based on experience. They'll watch out for you if you talk to them. Maybe email them before hand and let them know then.

newbie-in-fl:
again for everyones input.

Does anyone know how much it may cost to
"rent" Asa for a day ?

If you are diving with Fifi for the week I bet it won't be much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom