Turks and Caicos Trip Planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aoshell

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, Looking to this group for advice. My DH and I are planning our first trip to T&C in June, 2023. We have previously loved Little Cayman when visiting there - Question - Is it worth doing a few days on Grand Turk for diving? Will it be that much better than Provo? We will not be doing live-aboard, as we prefer exploring. I know there's not much to do on Grand Turk, but if the diving is worth it, we'll go.

Thanks!

My wife and I spent 4 days on GT and 3 on Provo. We liked GT better for the more remote feeling, Provo is way more developed. Diving was same on both pretty much, it's the same reef. Dive boats were bigger on Provo (12-14 divers) with Dive Provo vs 4 + divemaster on GT (don't remember shop name). Vis was great, water temp perfect, saw plenty of sea life on both. If I had to do it again I would only dive GT

I've been several times and like it, but I don't see any reason to go other than on one of the liveaboards.

Use Google to locate relevant info here on scubaboard. The 2 islands are very different. As is the above water part of the scuba experience.

Provo has (too) long trips to the dive sites. Grand Turk has cruise ships.

Provo is best done from a LOB.

Thanks for the input. We are broadening our planning to include liveaboards, although I am nervous about committing to 7 days without being on dry land!

Is it worth doing a few days on Grand Turk for diving?
we prefer exploring.
Maybe a few more replies will come in. I'll be on Grand Turk on a cruise stop in March. Not sure that I'll do any diving from the cruise ship but I'm not ruling it out. Specific information might be helpful to other divers going to Grand Turk and Caicos, whether staying on land or via cruise ship. Can anyone respond to the following?

It appears there are several dive sites on GT, Providenciales, and West Caicos.

1. What are some dive ops one could recommend on each island?
2. Which dive ops on GT cater to cruise ship divers?
3. What are some of the better dive sites?
4. What are likely dive sites for someone off off a cruise ship (on GT)?
5. Do dive ops on one island go to dive sites on one of the other islands?
6. What is the diving like - drift, calm water, reefs, wrecks, walls, etc..? Is it similar from island to island?
7. What are sights/activities to see/do on land - on each of the islands?
8. Since it was mentioned earlier, why a liveaboard (Turks and Caicos Explorer) vs staying on any of the
GT&C islands? Or switch it around, why a land stay vs live aboard?

3. What are some of the better dive sites?
My favourite sites are around French Cay and West Caicos. It probably depends on the conditions which to prefer.
8. Since it was mentioned earlier, why a liveaboard (Turks and Caicos Explorer) vs staying on any of the
GT&C islands? Or switch it around, why a land stay vs live aboard?
Both West Caicos and French Cay are a long boat trip from Provo and farther from Grand Turk. When I was there in November on the Explorer, the crew told me it was 1.5 to 2 hours out to French Cay from Provo, partially due to the weather.

8. Since it was mentioned earlier, why a liveaboard (Turks and Caicos Explorer)
Because a liveaboard gives you the option of doing five dives daily, including a night dive, in addition to only having to set your gear up once, on the day you arrive. The food is usually great too. The Agressor fleet has a boat there too, they pretty much do the same itinerary.

I have been to Turks 14 times all on the Aggressor boat. Setup your gear once and just dive. Get to places the day boat don’t go to. Great food (at least on the trip I was on) and the crew take good care of you. Rooms aren’t very big, but spent most of my time in the water or in the salon.

I was there last year and spent a few days at Harbour Club Villas diving with Flamingo Divers and then hopped on the Aggressor. Both were great for different reasons, but if you want to pack in the diving it's hard to beat a LOB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom