Turks & Caicos Liveaboards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

menemsha43

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm thinking about a liveaboard trip to the Turks & Caicos. I did a search and it looks like the 2 main choices are the Aggressor and the Explorer. I've read positive comments on both of these boats - does anyone have a recommendation who has been on both? Thanks.

As they both get good reviews, I'd look to price as a big factor.

Personally, I'd go with the Explorer because they own and operate it themselves and it has just be thru refurbishment, unlike the Aggressors which are independently owned and operated.

I was on the Explorer last year (although I think they have since replaced the boat) and had an absolute blast. So much so, that I am considering meeting the same bunch on the Saba-Statia route later this month.

I was able to tour the Aggressor boat prior to leaving as I had made a friend on the flight down that was going with them. The only major advantage in comparing notes with him on the flight back was the hot tub, which the Explorer lacked. In fairness, I have been in two Nekton boats with hot tubs available and never used them (how pruny do you want to get, 5 dives a day plus hot tub time and showers....you'd need gills) although on both occassions there were 3 or 4 that seemed to make use of them.

I don't think either would be a bad choice. My suggestion would be to either go on price or (and this is the method I will generally use) book late and pick the one that is underbooked (less crowding=more fun and attention and extra brownies...)

Either way, hope you have a great time. If they're are still there, tell JF and Jennifer I said hi.

Jeff

Thanks a lot for the responses. The first liveaboard I ever did was the Carribean Explorer back in '96 and I really enjoyed it. I've also been on the Aggressor boat in the Caymans and had a blast there as well. To me the experience really comes down to the quality of captain and crew of any particular boat. As someone mentioned, both got good reviews. I'm somewhat indifferent on price but I bet I can't go wrong either way.

We did the T&C Explorer in November '03 and it was great. We saw the Aggressor every day as the two boats do virtually the same itinerary. In port, the two boats dock right next to each other and the Aggressor captain let us come on board to have a look.

The T&C Explorer II has only been in the fleet for a month or two and is larger and fancier than the T&C I, which was the same boat you took as Caribbean Explorer in '96.

Just got back last night from the T&C Aggressor. It is a VERY nice boat. You might have heard though, that it was run aground during a freak storm and we had to abandon ship. Luckily, it was taken off the reef and all gear and camera equipment were safe and sound. It should be back in the water this week, but will have to dry dock soon to take care of some repairs. Piers (the captain) is the best, most involved captain I have run across in 11 or so liveaboards. The crew is generally very very good as well. If you are a photographer, itis by far and without a doubt the best boat I have been on from a photographer's perspective. All but two of the cre are photo/video folks (Aquatica freindly), and the cap is a fantastic photographer. On board desktop with photoshop and CD burner. Can NOT beat that.

The Explorer assisted with the rescue, and afterwards docked next to the Aggressor. THe Explorer is MUCH bigger, we got a short tour from Francois, that capt (?) and it looked very very nice as well. From a boat perspective, you couldn't go wrong with either. I am partial to the Aggressor crew, though, for getting us out of what was a very hairy situation.

Did the CEII in Saba in Dec, 2004, and the boats are incomparable. I was not too impressed with the CEII or the crew (or the diving).

Chris

I just returned from the T&C Explorer II. The boat is quite roomy and comfortable. It is also most stable. The crew and captain were amazing hosts and did a great job making everyone feel safe and comfortable. The food was hearty and plentiful, quite well prepared with a varied if not exciting menu. Stan made every effort to accomodate my husband's particular food requests.

Saw the Aggressor aground and was most impressed with her crew's response to a very unpleasant experience. I would say you couldn't go wrong with either boat. Both seem to rank pretty high up there.

Kaylee

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom