Turks & Caicos Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scottkl:
Hi Doc,

Yea I was not sure exactly were I was going to be going untill yesterday. We are going to be on Grand Turk the full time.

Scott

LOL--so much for all the Caicos Adventures & Provo Turtle Divers recommendations. Yes, GT is well, well worth hauling your kit.

There are only 3 dive ops on GT, I've dove with all 3 and all dive the same sites using the same kind of boats and are located on the same block. They work harmoniously with each other and are approximately equivalne in quality, all being quite good.

Oasis Divers -- http://www.oasisdivers.com

Sea Eye Diving -- http://www.seaeyediving.com

Blue Water Divers -- http://www.grandturkscuba.com/

Have fun.

DocVikingo

I can second what Doc says about Grand Turk, although when I was there in 1/04 the Sea Eye Dive Op didn't seem to be doing that well. I can personally vouch for Oasis. Good op. Grand Turk is deifinitely one step beyond. Eat, drink and dive are the three things to do. Why will you be on the island?

Tim,

I am going to be there shooting a film. Going to be there for 2 weeks but only working 8 of those days at the moment so alot of time to dive. Just planing on bring my Reg/computer, BC, Fins, Mask and snorkle any other recomendations to bring?

Scott

Tim Ingersoll:
I can second what Doc says about Grand Turk, although when I was there in 1/04 the Sea Eye Dive Op didn't seem to be doing that well. I can personally vouch for Oasis. Good op. Grand Turk is deifinitely one step beyond. Eat, drink and dive are the three things to do. Why will you be on the island?

A couple good books, a couple of good bottles and don't forget to hit the supermarket on the day the food comes in! The next day there isn't much left.

Thanks for the info Film just got pushed for 2 weeks so I am not leaving untill November 16th. As for Food Production is picking up the bill on all food so no worries there <G> Can not wait to get out there and have my few days off. How is the water temp out there? Used to diving So Cal so cold water is my friend. Think I can go with just a bathing suit and shirt or will I need a shorttie?

Tim Ingersoll:
A couple good books, a couple of good bottles and don't forget to hit the supermarket on the day the food comes in! The next day there isn't much left.

I'd recommend a shortie for mid November. I usually go with 3-5mil at that time of year, but I chill easily. If you're used to cold water then a shortie will be just fine.

I hope you enjoy the island. I love the place! One really neat dive site is called "The Pits", along the pier. Very shallow so you can stay for an hour or more, and I've seen 5 seahorses, 2 frogfish, a flying gurnard, and an octopus on a single dive there. Good stuff. Have a great time!

Beck

I dove a shortie the whole time and was only chilled because my sunburn got progressively worse.

Scottkl:
Thanks for the info Film just got pushed for 2 weeks so I am not leaving untill November 16th. As for Food Production is picking up the bill on all food so no worries there <G> Can not wait to get out there and have my few days off. How is the water temp out there? Used to diving So Cal so cold water is my friend. Think I can go with just a bathing suit and shirt or will I need a shorttie?

I was there last Thanksgiving and used a Polartec (fleece) the whole week and was fine. Water temp was 80-81F.

If you'll be looking for an American-style turkey dinner on Thanksgiving, inquire early at the Osprey Beach Hotel.

is the diving at Grand Turk that much better than
Provo? I am wondering it is worth a return trip

Its comparable but the boat rides are much shorter (5 minutes vs. 45 - 60 mins.).

Back
Top Bottom