Turks & Caicos Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim Ingersoll:
Its comparable but the boat rides are much shorter (5 minutes vs. 45 - 60 mins.).

Hey Tim,

How is the shore diving? Used to long surfice swims out here so that is not a problem. Easy access from the beachs/shops that would rent tanks?

Scott

Isn't Provo Turtle divers on Grand Turk? If it is, I highly reccommend it! Dave and Melinda Volkert, who run the op, were my neighbors and best friends for 5 years. I had an amazing time diving there last year! The Amphitheater and The Crack were some of my favorite dive sites!

I dove with Dive Provo.....Link> Dive Provo
They were very professional and I would recommend them. They are in Providenciales. They took me to all their favorite sites, like West Caicos, North West Point, French Cay, Grace Bay, and Pine Cay. They are right in Grace Bay and picked me up at my resort.

Okay folks, we are talking about Grand Turk. No Dive Provo, no Provo Turtle Divers. Different island. As Doc pointed out there are only three dive ops on Grand Turk. Oasis, Blue and Sea Eye. That being said we didn't do any shore diving.

Shore dives on Grand Turk are a 15-20 min swim to the wall. We dived with Mitch at Blue at Xmas & I found the water cold. Mitch wore 17 mm on his torso!! When you're tired of diving, reading & teasing the donkeys make a trip up to the Nookie Hill Club which was GT's happening place when we were there. Also try to go over to Salt Key which is v. laid back & also has good diving.

For me, though South Caicos had some of T&C's best diving but the last I heard of Ocean Haven where we stayed it was closed & I think it was the only place there.

Agree South Caicos is the best of it. We did it back when the Wind Dancer was there and was doing Grand Turk/Salt Cay/South Caicos. Wish they were still there.

MB104:
I dove with Dive Provo.....Link> Dive Provo
They were very professional and I would recommend them. They are in Providenciales. They took me to all their favorite sites, like West Caicos, North West Point, French Cay, Grace Bay, and Pine Cay. They are right in Grace Bay and picked me up at my resort.

Have you had the courtesy to read the prior posts wherein it was established the inquirer isn't going to Provo?

Best regards.

DocVikingo

nipi:
Shore dives on Grand Turk are a 15-20 min swim to the wall. We dived with Mitch at Blue at Xmas & I found the water cold. Mitch wore 17 mm on his torso!! When you're tired of diving, reading & teasing the donkeys make a trip up to the Nookie Hill Club which was GT's happening place when we were there. Also try to go over to Salt Key which is v. laid back & also has good diving.

For me, though South Caicos had some of T&C's best diving but the last I heard of Ocean Haven where we stayed it was closed & I think it was the only place there.

Yes, South Caicos Ocean Haven, which was the only dive op and diver's resort on the island, has been closed for about 2 years now. The island made it so difficult & unpleasant to do business that lovely Bob & Diane, who had the patience of saints, finally threw in the towel. Last I heard they were on the Pacific coast of Costa Rica doing various water-related tourism activities.

The only way to dive it at present is via Salt Cay. Salt Cay Divers will do day trips, which are about 90-minute boat rides over sometimes rough water and very weather-dependent. They also can arrange for stays at the now slightly renovated South Caicos Ocean Haven and provide the boat and DM. Of course all such arrangements require a minimum number of divers, which I believe is about 5. Obviously it's iffy & a hassle.

I'm with Damselfish--I wish Bob & Diane were still there.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

I thought about going to Salt Cay until I read that they go to Grand Turk for shopping and urban excitement. And I thought Grand Turk was about the quietest island I've ever been on with the exception of al-Masirah off the coast of Oman.
Try finding something non-canine in origin to eat on a Sunday on Grand Turk when the restaurants are all closed, and you'll learn a valuable lesson.
I landed on South Cay, and that made Salt Cay look like Metropolis.

Ok So one last question. Anyone going to be on the island from Nov 16th - Dec 2? That is when I am going to be out there and will be looking for dive partners that may be interested in some beach diving during my days off. Let me know if you will be on Grand Turk. Plan on a few Boat Dives and a night dive or two.

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom