Turks & Caicos - Dive Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carlos Danger

Contributor
Reaction score
I had originally posted this dive video link under the Videography forum, but figured some might just be interested from a travel perspective. Most of the footage was shot in Grand Turk; some off of West Caicos.

Overall, the experience was awesome, and I would definately recommend TCI to anyone considering a trip.

YouTube - Turks & Caicos - Scuba Diving

You saw a manta? and interacted with a pod of dolphins? WOW. Thats some luck in one dive trip to TCI. How long were u there?

A total of 11 days; seven of which were spent in Grand Turk. The Manta and dolphins were both shot in Grand Turk; there were actually several pods of dolphins. We also dove West Caicos four times, where the shark footage was taken. I thought the diving in Grand Turk was much better; reefs are very lush, with fantastic walls 10 minutes away right off shore.

Just wanted to tell you I enjoyed watching your video. Great capture of all the variety of life and structures of the sea. You must of had a great time on this trip. With whom did you do your dives with and what is your views of their operation? I will be in the Turks and Caicos in March and would like to get any information as to must do dives and dive operations. Your video makes me wish I was there right now.

Thanks jmdive!

It was a great trip; expensive, but definitely worth it. For ease of making our 8:20am departure back to Miami from Providenciales, we broke the trip into two parts. The first seven days were spent on Grand Turk, the rest in Provo; it was almost like taking two vacations back-to-back. We particularly enjoyed Grand Turk.

The flight over to GT from Provo takes about 25 minutes via Turks & Caicos Air puddle-jumper, and costs about $160 round-trip per-person. They only allow 50 lbs of luggage per-person, so pack light if you’re thinking about going. Topside, the island is still suffering from Hurricane Ike of last year, but the reef is doing very well. With only a handful of places to eat, and few other attractions, there is really nothing to do there but dive and hang-out, which is exactly what we were looking for. We'd chill on the beach for hours and never see another person; no boats, no planes; zero – perfect! One year after Ike and the island is still without any TV service; just doesn’t get much better than that!

We stayed at the Osprey (great place, clean, good location), and did our diving with Blue Water. There are a few other small dive operators to choose from, but they're all pretty much the same. The slow, quiet, laid-back atmosphere, combined with old-school Caribbean colonial charm and hometown vibe were what really pulled us in – plus the diving is awesome. They have about 30 permanently moored sites along "the wall", which drops strait down to about 7000 feet. Drop-in is anywhere from 20ft-50ft of depth in 85 degree water with no current; very relaxed diving. We managed over and hour on most of the dives.

As for Provo; totally different vibe. Much more commercial, with large condo developments everywhere and plenty of shopping. Grace bay is beautiful, but there are a lot of people around. We went in low season, so I can only image that it could be pretty crowded during busier times of the year. We stayed at the Caribbean Paradise, which we very much enjoyed. It’s about 100 yards from the beach, but is a lovely older property with lush landscaping and reasonably priced. Local food is excellent.

For Diving, we went with Caicos Adventures. This operator is one of the best organized I have ever gone diving with, and have excellent large twin-hull boats for trips out to Northwest Point, West Caicos, and French Caye where the good diving is. Unlike the 10 minute trips in a small boat over on Grand Turk, diving from Provo is an all day excursion. The diving is great with similar profiles to GT, but perhaps a little deeper in-n-out. We were riding our NDL everyday. Good as it was, Grand Turk has better diving in my opinion.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Last edited:
Thank you for the information and I looked at the Caicos Adventures website and I will book my dives with them. I now know what to expect and what to look forward to.

Thnx for all the info

I want to go back to GT in the worse way! Man that video made me really miss the place! How was Mitch? Does his band still play on Sunday nights at the BBQ at the Osprey?

Mike

Mitch is good. He's still rebuilding his house after Ike, and playing guitar for his supper; still doing the Sunday BBQ at Osprey too. He jacked his back up while I was there, so we didn't get to dive together. I believe he's going to Burning Man, so he may actually be in the states by now.

Amazing dives. Really like the video. Excellent job on the editing, mix and music as I really enjoyed watching it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom