Turks & Caicos Aggressor vs Aqua Cat (Exumas)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjoeldm

Contributor
Reaction score
Just mulling over the unpleasant task I have in choosing between the Turks & Caicos Aggressor out of Providenciales and the Aqua Cat which runs the Exumas out of Nassau.

I've done a few other Liveaboards, the Windancer out of Belize City in '98, the Caribbean Explorer II out of St Martin and the SS Thorfinn moored in Truk Lagoon, so it won't be a new experience. And I've been diving in Grand Turk (once) and Nassau (numerous times) and off Andros (twice), so I'm familiar with the areas.

Both boats look to be comfortable, modern and well-appointed. The Aggressor boat is 130' long with a 22' beam and just refitted in 2003 while the Aqua Cat is 110' long with a 35' beam, it's a catamaran (naturally) and it was built in 2001. I've read some references to "rough crossings" onboard the Cat, though not in every review.

My impression is that the diving is a tad better in T&C (could my impression be wrong?), but the range of activities is greater on board the Aqua Cat which offers sea kayaking excursions and other land-and-sea activities such as bird watching (not that interested in that), iguana viewing (better, but I'm more of a people watcher), island exploration and beach combing.

I like trips to new places and excursions to the far corners, so I suppose the Cat is more in keeping with that notion as it seems to range wide in a "pristeen" area of the Bahamas, while the Aggressor seems to keep within a much smaller area.

I love wall diving and the Aggressor seems to offer scads of that sort, but the Bahamas is also home to some great walls, though my reading is that the diving there is a mix of walls, blue holes and other interesting UW topography as well as a staged shark dive (which interests me not at all) as well as sharks "in the wild" on many of the other dives which does interest me. While the Aqua Cat may offer a wider range of experiences, my guess is that the diving is not as universally dramatic as the steep walls in T&C, again, I may be wrong.

A pleasant dilemma. I'm going to decide in the next 24 hours, not much time to gather opinions, but I thought I'd give it a shot, so any quick suggestions or reviews of these boats would be appreciated! I leave the first week of August 2006 and I'll keep reading any opinions offered until . . . and maybe make the "loser" a future destination. ;-)

Thanks!
JoeL

I just read about your dilemma and was wondering which one you chose and what you thought of that live aboard as I am thinking of going on the Aqua Cat next June.

You just can't miss with the AquaCat. The boat is HUGE, the food is GREAT, the itinerary is WONDERFUL.

I would be interested in hearing thoughts as well. Looking ahead to a potential trip in late spring/early summer 2011.

Aquacat is great. Dive platform is open and uncrowded. Cabins are real nice. Boat is well kept and just feels higher end. You can't beat the location of the boat. Hurricane Hole is right across the street from Atlantis. Also, there is a great bar right in front of the boat!

You got to do the washing machine dive. Its a drift dive like you've never experienced before! Lots of varied terrain to explore. Walls are not dramatic like San Sal or Conception islands but the swim thru's are awesome.

Some may not care for the shark feed but it does get your adrenaline flowing. Some sharks hang around for some great photo op's. They are much calmer and produce better photos anyway.

You can't go wrong with this boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom