Turks & Caicos Aggressor 4/7 to 4/13

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Redfoot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So my Grand Cayman plans fell through, but a stroke of luck opened a spot on a group trip through dive shop where I took my classes. I was originally going to do my OW Cert dives in Grand Cayman next week, but work and life got in the way. I was BUMMED out, especially since Sunset House had been so helpful in planning and arranging Certification dives.

But then my dive instructor called and they had a couple cancel on their 6 day Aggressor trip 12 days before departure, which my instructor & his wife (also dive shop owners) were going on with a group of old friends. The stars aligned, I was able to swap flights, and I pulled the trigger!

Instructor did have me come in and we discussed how it would be deeper diving, I opted to take him up the Nitrox deal he proposed, (combined with OW Certification) and we did a refresher in the pool (I took classes in December). He was also my buddy for the week (except for 2-3 dives after I was certified, I dove with my room mate) and the entire group and crew were EXTREMELY kind and helpful making sure I felt comfortable, but they didn't coddle or cut me any breaks either, which I appreciated.

I flew Delta from Detroit, quick layover in Atlanta, and we were in T & C by 1:30 or so on Sunday 4/7. I had the privilege of going to T & C last October with my fiancee, I love the islands and it felt great to be back.

We headed to the marina, had a quick lunch at Mango Reef restaurant (very good) and met up with the other group members who had traveled from all across the US. They all knew each other, and some have been diving together for 40+ years.

The tide had gone out quickly that day, so the boat was already out of the marina and we had to take the tender out in groups to board. Not the most optimal situation (i.e we got wet) but it was a beautiful day and a nice introduction.

I did my first three Certifying dives, and Nitrox skills on Monday at the Ampitheatre site off Northwest Point. Quite the experience to get reef sharks and stingray SECONDS after jumping in for my first ever dive in the ocean.

We headed to the Dome for afternoon and night dive. I stuck with my instructor for both, and loved the night dive. Got first Hawksbill turtle encounter in the afternoon, which was awesome.

Did my 4th Certifying dive on Tuesday and got treated to being made a human cake on the dive deck. It was fun and I am glad I got to be the morning entertainment.....

Here is the Captain's log, that is me in the second picture!
Aggressor® | Official Site | Liveaboards, Safaris & River Cruises

The food was great all week, I got up around 6:15 each day and watched the sunrise with coffee, fruit and toast, then had whatever was offered for the rest of the day. I am not picky, but even some of the more finnicky eaters raved about the food.

Weather was very nice all week except for a few hours Thursday afternoon, it got grey and windy, some people were a little queasy but I lucked out and felt fine.

The BEST dive of the week was Wednesday night dive at G-Spot in French Cay. Someone began calling it the Nurse Shark Rodeo, and it was an incredible amount of action. Probably 20 or so Nurse & Reef sharks were on the prowl, and they were hungry. It was really cool to watch them hunt and move through the corals effortlessly.

The crew was great, boat was great, I am really glad I got to go on this trip. It was also a total "rabbit hole" as all the seasoned divers spent the evenings telling us younger divers about all the cool places to go and trips to take, so it will be very easy to plan future trips!

I ended up going Iron Diver with two other guests, so it was a very productive first week of diving.

Here is video put together by shop owner/instructor/group organizer:

Thanks to all on Scubaboard, reviews and info here were VERY helpful in preparing.

-Ryan

Topside pics:

Attachments

• BOAT.jpg
    BOAT.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 211
  • MAP.jpeg
    MAP.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 233
  • IRONDIVER.jpg
    IRONDIVER.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 227
More:

Attachments

• Medal.PNG
    Medal.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 223
  • SUNRISE1.jpg
    SUNRISE1.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 264
  • VIEW.jpg
    VIEW.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 225
Nice review. Iron diver on your certification trip? Good work!

How is the in-water pick ups. I have read that T&C the boat can swing a good bit.

The boat definitely had a swing to it, they recommend getting within sight of the boat and wait for the swing bar to come back to you instead of trying to chase it. After doing safety stop, it was pretty easy to re-board, the crew was great about that. They would take your fins, BC, mask etc (if you wanted them too) and then the ladder was very sturdy.

We lucked out with weather, but if it got real choppy I could see how it could be difficult.

Instead of trying to chase the boat, just pick out a distinctive patch of coral or something and hang over it at safety stop depth until the boat comes back. The Belize boat does the same thing, as I recall.

Back
Top Bottom