Turks and Caicos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We went to Grand Turk in March and used Oasis. No compalnits at all. The boat was a giant pontoon type and the crew was great!

The beaches are some of the best I've seen. Simply picturesque. However if you have any non-divers, there is not much for them to do at all besides lay on the beach. The island is rather bare and offers little in the way of shopping and/or places to explore. The island is pretty undeveloped and just getting popular among tourist, especially divers. Don't expect it to be like Grand Cayman or Bermuda. It you like places off the beaten path. This is it. It's about a mile off the path…

The Diving is great. If you like wall diving... this is the place. We saw a lot of different critters including many turtles, rays and even a dolphin and a shark or two. At one the dive site there is a huge Grouper name Alexander. In his former life, I'm sure Alexander was a big lovable dog…. Alexander, is awesome and has become an island celebrity. He'll meet you as soon as you hop in the water and swim with you while you dive. He LOVES to be petted and have his picture taken. Very tame by any standards. At night, he'll swim next to you and use your dive light to hunt with. He's an opportunist to say the least.. After my experiences with Alexander… I swore off ever eating Grouper again.

On a couple of our night dives, we witnessed the rare matting of the glow worms. They're translucent and around 12 inches long with a little glowing mass every 2 inches or so. Once your eyes adjusted, they were everywhere. They reminded me on the icicle xmas lights you hang from you house, except very dim. Bizarre but incredible!

If you get a chance, Oasis also offers whale watching. Depending on the mood of the whale you might be able to hop in a snorkel with them. This is rare however. Even if you don't get to hop in, this is well worth it. We also did the afternoon cookout on Gibbs key. Gibbs key is an uninhabited small key off the eastern coast of Grand Turk. You get to explore the island and play with the rays that come right up to the shore. They're very friendly and not shy at all. Neat experience.

Pros: Diving, diving and diving. Alexander the Grouper, Great beaches, Whale watching and beach party at Gibbs key. Don't miss dinner at Mookey Pookey's Pizza Palace. Not bad pizza for the islands mon. The Sand Bar… Great hang out and good food and beer.
Cons: For some, the underdeveloped aspect of the island could be a problem. I tend to enjoy this more adventurous aspect. Not much to do if you don't dive. PRICES… Topside, things are expensive. It's definitely not Mexico.

Enjoy.

Only problem with Provo is that dive sites are about 45 mins boat ride away. Stunning and unforgettable diving with Big Blue, which specializes in small groups (8-10 max) and personal service.

Smitty from C.I. diving on Grand Turk is by far the most accomodating, friendly and easy going DM on Grand Turk. Also, GT's reefs are 15 minute ride away, wihch makes it more compelling to me than Provo.

Okay, its been awhile since i posted this thread and I thank all of you for your inputs. I got a really great deal with Salt Cay Divers and the arifares on Spirits as well (2-4-1). We are going on the 14th of April, with the hopes of a lazy slow swimming whale may happen by. If anyone has any thing to add on the Cay please let me know. I will post a trip report when I get back.

Hope you aren't planning on a lot of night life!! Bring lots of books.

Actually no, I was looking for a quiet relaxing trip. Sometimes you just need to kick back, so I am guessing that is not go to be a problem....

I hope it's okay to resurrect this thread. I have some additional questions.

I'm keenly interested in the humpback whales. Can anyone tell me where the best place is to possibly see them --Salt Cay or Grand Turk? (I know there are no guarantees.) When they say the season is February- March, do they mean the END of March? Isn't the water still pretty cold then?

And if you stay on Grand Turk, can you still go out to see the HMS Endymion?

Thanking you in advance...

The whales are migrating to mate in the Silver Banks. The end of March is the end of the season. You'll have to wait until next year for the best chance of seeing them. The water temps are pretty consistent in the 78-82 degree range.

Rachel

Thanks, Rachel.

Actually I'm already looking ahead to next year. We still have to travel during school breaks, so we start making plans early. Or at least start thinking about making plans early. To tell you the truth, I just like to think about the places we're diving next--particularly when it's cold. Now that the weather has finally turned into Spring, I probably won't be so obsessed.

We're planning on Bonaire again for Christmas. My son is an avid videographer, and I know he would like to get something BIG on his screen. Right now we're thinking about either Utila or Grand Turk (he also loves wrecks, so the Endymion would be a very big deal.) I know there are places you can go for shark dives, but I'm just not sure how I feel about those.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom