Tuna seiner Sharkdivers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

niuhi

Registered
Reaction score
I watched a program a long while ago on I think discovery channel about the purse-seiners in Australia and New Zealand that capture tuna for the sushi market and divers are used to "wrangle" the various sharks that are trapped and move them out of the tuna pens through rips in the net. I have been googling for hours to find info on the subject but came up dry. Nobody beleives me.

DO any of yall have any info on this unique profession?

Commercial fisherman care about marine life more than anyone can believe. That is in fact how we ( not me any more) make a living. No one kills anything without cause. The divers herd sharks and all dolphins and everything else they can out of the nets. What more can anyone expect?

niuhi:
I watched a program a long while ago on I think discovery channel about the purse-seiners in Australia and New Zealand that capture tuna for the sushi market and divers are used to "wrangle" the various sharks that are trapped and move them out of the tuna pens through rips in the net. I have been googling for hours to find info on the subject but came up dry. Nobody beleives me.

DO any of yall have any info on this unique profession?

The name of the show was "Tuna Cowboys"

Jeremy

Back
Top Bottom