Tulum Reef Diving in Late Dec - Early Jan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveEngineer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are planning our first trip to Tulum in late December and early January. We are mostly interested in reef diving (Cenotes are a possibility but we prefer reef diving).

In general, how is the water temperature, weather, etc, this time of year? We are staying close to the beach and will have a car so making it to a dive shop in Tulum shouldn't be an issue. We don't want to have to travel far of course so a dive shop in Tulum would be our preference.

I've already corresponded with one dive shop in Tulum that doesn't do reef diving that time of year due to "weather conditions" so that makes me leery of what to expect while we are there.

I'm looking for recommendations and information on diving the reef during this time period. Is it worth it to go reef diving at Tulum during our planned dates? Thanks in advance.

just came back from 2 weeks in mexico, mostly in tulum, cenote diving.. I know you wrote you prefer reefs but when you are in tulum you definitely should try the cenotes. They are all different and truly amazing. We dove with Protec and can highly recommend them for both rec and tec diving. Regarding the weather, it was nice most of the time, it will be quite "cool" for some if you are used to warm temps..I thought it was very warm :p

We've dove Puerto Aventuras (up the coast from Tulum) several times in December, and I don't recall every being blown out for an extended period of time. Water temps are usually in the upper 70's. Evening air temperatures can get a little cool (and if you observe the Mexicans, you would think an overnight temp in the 60's is the equivalent of freezing)\, but nothing that a light sweater/long sleeve can't handle. We have two heavy after-dive jackets that we used to take with us (would need them frequently on Cozumel with the Nortes), but haven't ever had conditions in PA during the same time of year require anything close.

Last December, we made an ocean dive opposite Casa Cenote. There were several boats available for charter that were 20 feet off the beach. I cannot remember the fee. The trip to the reef may have been 5 minutes. It was not Cozumel but was a nice dive - maybe 35 feet max. Viz was 40+

Thanks everyone for your input and experiences. Really appreciate it! :thumb:

I've also dove out of Puerto Aventuras. You can also easily take the ferry from Playa to Coz for more reef options

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom