Tulum cenote trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

homo maris

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Here is a quick trip report back from Tulum.

We had booked in advance reef and cenote diving with Abyss dive center and had confirmed by phone the day before by leaving a message. Yet we got stood up. We showed up at the dive shop and waited and waited ... nothing. The neighbours told us Abyss was "flaky", I guess we learned our lesson. With only half a day left we called Xibalba dive center who bailed us out for a great dive a Dos Ojos (saw the plastic aligator chewing the Barbie doll). Dos Ojos was super packed (about 30 people in the water) but our guide (Andy) was able to move us through side passages out of the way of the traffic.

We continued the next day with Xibalba diving Aktun Ha (Carwash) and Esqueleto (Temple of Doom). Aktun Ha is an extremely nice dive with spectacular lighting (specially if you turn toward the entrance) and Esquelto starts with a 3m jump into the hole (make sure the ladder is sturdy!) and continues through the halocline.

I also did Angelita and Sac Aktun (Grand Cenote) by myself. Angelita is a must-do-once dive through the hydrogene sulfide, it feels like dropping into the stilt. Other than that, it is pretty boring. Gran Cenote is very nice.

So if you dive with Abyss, make sure you don't get stood up as we did and if you want a great reliable dive shop go to Xibalba

JL

Back
Top Bottom