Tulamben shore entry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not passionate about the piers / ramp. I do get pretty testy, however, when called a whiny old woman with a lack of fitness, dive skills, sense or willingness to accept any risk - especially by a hypocrite. :D

.... But then again, I've had my say already so I should stop repeating myself.

Zippsy, you've stooped to name-calling. Apparently I hit a sore spot--my sincere apologies. Hopefully you will graciously accept them and I can refrain from further posting in this thread.

No need to apologize for that. It's not that sore a point and I don't think you raise it with malintent. I'm sorry I called you a macho stud muffin.

I did my tech training at Tulamben with 3 tanks and it was really painful n difficult but that's how dives are done there.

A pier would certainly help but every place is different n it adds to the character of the location :rofl3:!

The next time I dive there I'll be using Seasoft boots, knee & elbow pads :wink:!

SangP

Diving requires great fitness capability, and when we talk about fitness for diving, it is not just the "dive" itself, but also the entry and exit. Choose appropriate dive site for your current training and fitness. If one has disability,maybe entering the sea using a "jukung" / local fishermen boat is a better judgement. But you will have to go to nearby dive sites such as Batu Kelebit, etc.

Remember this still needs some swimming, you have to be outside the site with your boat, boats are prohibited on top of some dive sites for safety reasons.

The drop-off site in Tulamben is more forgiving to enter/exit than the Wreck-site. You can swim underwater to the wreck from the Drop Off, and back if your air-supply management is good.

Building any kind of construction affecting the ocean would need a thorough environmental study as well as social and economical study. However, you can dream about it while you're in Tulamben and listening to the waves, but you will not get any of those structures. Ever.

Enjoy your dive! :)

It sounds like this site may soon be called "Tumble in" :) :)

As a resident of Tulamben..... I can tell you two things.
1) When its gets rough in Tulamben the waves have tremendous power.... the easiet solution is to wait until tomorrow or the next day. Or if you must dive, then dive from a boat (jukung), this much safer and no shore entry. A jetty/pier wouldn't last very long in Tulamben, there is a concrete jetty just 2 kilometres from the wreck at a sand mine project in Kubu. The jetty is wide/high and well made.... but only lasted 2 rainy seasons and is now falling apart, just due to the power of the swells that hammer the coast seasonally in July/August and February/March.
2) The last thing Tulamben needs is a concrete pier with large numbers of divers entering from it when the swell is up. Its bad enough diving there now and trying to avoid the high number of inexperienced divers crashing around the wreck and destroying marine life with every fin kick. Last week 250 divers visited the wreck in one single day!!!

I did my very first open water dives after certification in Tulamben. The rocks were troublesome, but I made it with a minimum of bruises - except for one night dive. My FIRST night dive...on the wreck. I bailed out of it almost immediately. The DM came up with me, pointed towards shore (not far away), and asked if I could make it on my own. No problem. Until I got into the shallows, when I was unable to get up! I felt like a turtle rolling around on my back. It was embarrassing, but not uncomfortable. Fortunately, some nice strong (male) German divers came along to help me out of the water, otherwise I might still be there!

My opinion is mixed - I can see the virtues of leaving it alone, or putting a simple, eco-friendly jetty or something in. But I managed it, and I've managed the shale and rocks on shore dives in Bonaire, too. Bonaire was far worse.

For the record, I prefer boat dives!

As a resident of Tulamben..... I can tell you two things.
1) When its gets rough in Tulamben the waves have tremendous power.... the easiet solution is to wait until tomorrow or the next day. Or if you must dive, then dive from a boat (jukung), this much safer and no shore entry. A jetty/pier wouldn't last very long in Tulamben, there is a concrete jetty just 2 kilometres from the wreck at a sand mine project in Kubu. The jetty is wide/high and well made.... but only lasted 2 rainy seasons and is now falling apart, just due to the power of the swells that hammer the coast seasonally in July/August and February/March.
2) The last thing Tulamben needs is a concrete pier with large numbers of divers entering from it when the swell is up. Its bad enough diving there now and trying to avoid the high number of inexperienced divers crashing around the wreck and destroying marine life with every fin kick. Last week 250 divers visited the wreck in one single day!!!

Other country's with severe storms seem to be able to build ok. See att photos.

Wow 250 inexperienced divers, I bet non of the locals turned there nose up at the influx of $

Attachments

• ST1.jpg
    ST1.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 38
  • ST 2.jpg
    ST 2.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 37
  • ST 3.jpg
    ST 3.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 37
  • ST 4.jpg
    ST 4.jpg