Tulamben shore entry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whatever.

I dont think negative people need to influence this idea. If those with out a macho complex or disabilities want to use a ramp, let them use it. You may continue to do whatever it is you feel validates your manhood.

Oh, and if you want to use a jetty or whatever it is that gets built- don't worry, we wont tell anyone. :wink:

If those with out a macho complex or disabilities want to use a ramp, let them use it. You may continue to do whatever it is you feel validates your manhood.
It has nothing to do with macho; the question is, how far should we intrude on the natural environment to make diving accessible to the least capable among us? If I needed to prove my manhood, I wouldn't pick a hobby that offers minimal physical challenges. I reject the implicit notion that just because there is some development, it is okay to continue down that road with reckless abandon--there are consequences for further development, as you can see, again, on the south shore of Bali.

I suggest a $5000 a week gold-plated liveaboard for those who find a shore entry to "difficult" or "challenging." You can roll into the water, climb out on a ladder while a crew member is handling your gear, then get a nice neck massage before your next dive. Beware, though ... you may encounter current or pokey & stingy things below ... then what?

This issue has nothing to do about macho or manhood ... I never even thought about it until someone else brought it up. It's about going out and experiencing what the world has to offer on its own terms ... not changing it until it suits your terms about what is easy or difficult. Certainly there must be dives around that suit your requirements, or perhaps another sport/hobby/pastime besides diving is calling your name.

Last edited:
So, you fully advocate restricting the enjoyment of this particular dive site from those who are disabled, old, or otherwise incapable of walking trough rough conditions? How does that make you feel as a person? Its very selfish, i think. I can do this dive. It doesnt mean that everyone can.

And I am sorry, but people experience very little through diving on the worlds terms. You ARE using an artifical tank of air to breathe underwater, are you not? I hope you take a boat to dive at Nusa Penida. Etc...

We gain nothing by refusing people the experience of diving here.

If we dont share our experiences with other people than we cannot continue the enjoyment of the sport for everyone.

Last edited:
So, you fully advocate restricting the enjoyment of this particular dive site from those who are disabled, old, or otherwise incapable of walking trough rough conditions? How does that make you feel as a person? Its very selfish, i think.
I'm not advocating adding restrictions, but yes, I am comfortable leaving the natural restrictions in place. Life is full of tradeoffs--in this case we retain a more natural environment and a small number of divers will not be able to access a site that they presumably cannot safely access now. In addition, there are other tourists who get to enjoy picturesque stretches of shoreline unmarred by a pier or ramp. The near-to-shore marine habitat might benefit from not being disturbed with the sinking of pilings or the pouring of cement. The porters will not have their livelihoods disturbed--it is easy to imagine that once your ramp or pier is in place a paved road to access it would be the next step, effectively killing the demand for their service.

As has been suggested, those who can't manage the shore entry should look into boat access. Maybe instead of a ramp or pier you should be organizing a new liveaboard or day boat.

We gain nothing by refusing people the experience of diving here.
Again, nobody has suggested that anybody be "refused the experience of diving" in Tulamben. I am opposed to imposing more infrastructure on the environment to facilitate it.

If we dont share our experiences with other people than we cannot continue the enjoyment of the sport for everyone.
I don't see a moral imperative to have everybody enjoy the sport of scuba diving. Some people find it boring, some people can't afford it, and some people can't manage the shore entry at Tulamben. They can all find other diversions, many of which might be more fulfilling.

Why is it so important that divers do these shore dives? There's plenty of good diving in Bali off boats or with easier shore access. Do you have any interest in this beyond as a tourist?

Last edited:
Actually it is possible with small extra money. Just rent a jukung from the drop-off. I have seen two photographer with their bulky gear used jukung.
If I'm not wrong, diver from Scuba Seraya can use their inflatable boat.
Alternatively Amed dive center in Amed operate small LOB Condor - they offer 3-dive day trip to Kubu and Tulamben for Euro 86 p.p (min. 4 pax).
Other solution - you enter the water without dive gear - let you guide to bring the gear and you use your BCD in the water - yes, again the guide can still help you. Similarly when exit the water - let the guide to handle your gear.
Do not laugh - I've seen it.

It has nothing to do with macho;
technically I think you are correct. It is more about the appearance of being macho.

I think QBit has the right idea where those stud muffins among you can just bypass the pier or ramp and yell "look at me!" to the old women and poorer cameramen among us using the pier.

Here you go Zippsy, I found a dive site for you:

Welcome To Underwaterworld Singapore

Easy access, safe, exciting, and we don't have to encroach on the natural environment any further to accommodate you. You know how to get to Sentosa, don't you? They want you to be "able to swim and/or confident in water," though--are you up to that? :wink:

I don't see a moral imperative to have everybody enjoy the sport of scuba diving.

Duly noted.

I started this thread to get some ideas how we could help people enjoy Tulamben shore dives. As Qbit said, there are people who wouldn't be able to get out there and do a shore entry.

Please feel free to move on if you aren't for the idea.

Originally I had imagined this thing to be a grassroots organized project. All it really takes is some initiative and a few people with some skill, free-time, and a little extra capital. We could build this thing ourselves if it came to it.

Ideas:

- A couple of concrete slabs laid out that just clear the surf zone.
- Floating "tire" jetty
- (more...?)

Construction concerns:
Environmental impact - minimal, of course.
Cost - unless we get funding, its gotta be CHEAP
Ease of implementation - Laws, installation, construction
Project life span - will any of the ideas survive continued use, weather, and still be safe?

Re: Loss of jobs.
I dont imagine the project involving the porters' business. This would be an aid to divers alone, after gearing up on the beach and entering the water.

Duly noted.

I started this thread to get some ideas how we could help people enjoy Tulamben shore dives. As Qbit said, there are people who wouldn't be able to get out there and do a shore entry.

Please feel free to move on if you aren't for the idea.

Ideas, thoughts, suggestions?
So when you solicited "thoughts," you really meant "thoughts that are in general agreement with mine." Got it. Unfortunately, that's not how Scubaboard works, generally. If you think I have been rude in any way, please PM me, or report the offensive post. If you just don't like my opinion, please feel free to move on, or just ignore it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom