Tulamben shore entry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vlad, you still didn't answer my question; do you walk from the airport to Tulamben or do you "encroach on the natural environment" by using roads that were carved out of the jungle and in a car that pollutes the air. Do you swim there from Hong Kong or do you fly in the polluting plane and land at the airport on land "reclaimed" from the natural environment?

Being a hypocrite is fine as long as you accept that you can't make up your own limits of what hypocrisy is.

Ive already reported the offensive posts, and noted your opinion. Thanks. It gets tiresome when it's repeated, and not constructive anymore.

Man up, you guys sound like old women. Actually, I take it back--those old women in Tulamben wouldn't whine like that. If you can't hack it, stay on your couch--you'll be safe there.

Common sense would be to skip the dives you are not capable of doing. Changing the world into Disneyland to accommodate your lack of skill or fitness, or your unwillingness to accept even the minimal risks associated with those dives--that is not sensible, in my opinion.

They want you to be "able to swim and/or confident in water," though--are you up to that?

Now, please. Leave the thread.

So, you fully advocate restricting the enjoyment of this particular dive site from those who are disabled, old, or otherwise incapable of walking trough rough conditions? How does that make you feel as a person? Its very selfish, i think. I can do this dive. It doesnt mean that everyone can.

And I am sorry, but people experience very little through diving on the worlds terms. You ARE using an artifical tank of air to breathe underwater, are you not? I hope you take a boat to dive at Nusa Penida. Etc...

We gain nothing by refusing people the experience of diving here.

If we dont share our experiences with other people than we cannot continue the enjoyment of the sport for everyone.

QBit - You are making an argument where none really exists. As Wisnu says, there are alternatives to enjoy Tulamben other than walking into the surf. Here are a couple of short videos to watch, then read the rest of my post:

Most Amazing Wingsuit Flying

YouTube - Flying Wingsuit - Take that Superman!

What do these have to do with shore diving in Tulamben? They too involve some level of effort and skill to undertake, and many people may say it's not for them, by virtue of their age or physical condition. I would LOVE to do this, but it's just not in the cards for me. So what would you do to accommodate me in this sport, to allow me to experience this? Should you hang me from a hot air balloon by a wire? Perhaps it's something that is just inaccessible to me and millions of others.

I'm 62 years old, 35 pounds overweight, and I have a bad knee. I've looked pretty funny, I imagine, exiting a dive onto an iron shore, sharp, jagged limestone. Every little eroded pocket in the rock has a small sea urchin in it, spines protruding. As I exit, about knee deep, the surf knocks me on my face and I take up the landing on my hands and knees, against the stone and urchins. Am I macho? Hardly. I am as clumsy as I look. But they were good dives, and I'd do them the same way again. So you might see me looking like a little old lady this October in Tulamben when I do my shore entries, but hey, that's what it takes to do the dive, unless I want to try another approach.

The point is ... just deal with what's in front of you, even if it takes some thought and creativity, or a few dollars. And enjoy the dive!

Ive already reported the offensive posts, and noted your opinion. Thanks. It gets tiresome when it's repeated, and not constructive anymore.

Now, please. Leave the thread.
I was responding to posts that were responding to me. My comments were constructive, in my opinion. If there was any rudeness, it was directed at me, not coming from me. But I'm a macho man--I have thick skin. :wink:

Here's an idea: you and your loyal cohort ignore my posts, since I have become so irksome to you, and I will stop posting. As far as I know there is no provision for proprietary threads in this forum, but perhaps you can ask them to set up a little Tulamben Ramp Club for your private discussion.

The point is ... just deal with what's in front of you, even if it takes some thought and creativity, or a few dollars. And enjoy the dive!

Sorry. This thread was created to hear ideas about how we could be thoughtful and creative and actually MAKE something for others so they can enjoy the dive. And this includes you, when you hit 65 and have two bad knees.

Youve both had your say, and you advocate doing nothing. Thank you for putting in your opinion. Honestly. Now lets hear some positives so we can get on with it.

There is no legitimate reason for NOT going ahead with this project.

P.s. Ive got a website for you, too.
Diveheart Foundation Official Website

Last edited by a moderator:

Gee, this seemingly-innocuous thread has really stirred up the natives (Is that PC?). I'll just follow HighDesert's suggestion and deal with it through "thought" -- I think that I'll get the DM's to steady me when I enter and leave. :) I just need to remember not to get AbsoluteAmanda as a DM, since things would be a real mess if she fell and dragged me down with her!!

Last edited:
Actually, Valwood, I guess that is why I took offense to some of the posts here. I was diving there once and had no trouble with the entries but one dive brought up much bigger waves at the end and the big, burly German DM said "Oh scheisse". My normally agile wife tried to hold on him but the rough footing made it difficult for both of them and she ended up going in on her hands and knees with some banged up odds and ends. I tried to wait it out a bit and time the exit. The DM came back for me and we both ended riding in on our asses. Of course that was when I was young, strong, confident and probably too proud and stupid to think it would have been a blessing to have an easier way to exit. 20 years later, I have learned lots of lessons.

Yeah, I've seen worse while there.
Especially in the rainy season when the seas are rougher there always seems to be someone having a hard go at it.

I really dont think it would take much to make the shore entry easier or accessible!

The idea of concrete blocks is good. They are the lowest profile option i think.
What size do you think? Will they survive the weather or just get buried under the stones?

Zippsy -- I was 59 and 60 on my two excursions there, know that it can be a difficult entry and exit, and certainly wouldn't have minded an easier route -- and would have accepted such without feeling deprived at missing the stumble-through-the-waves-and-slick-rocks experience. It struck me as pretty funny that a topic so innocent should have inspired such forceful responses, pro and con.

Back
Top Bottom