Tulamben/5050/INON 165 Macro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefwreck

Contributor
Reaction score
just returned from a last-minute short trip to Tulamben, Bali.

Seeing many impressive Macro shots by shooters using the INON 165 Macro lens, I decided to purchase one from Yuzo, here in Asia. I had virtually no time to practice topside, so use of the lens underwater for a first-timer, was to say the least, a little frustrating.However, with a little practice, I was able to get some decent shots and overall I am very happy with the lens.

Diving at Tulamben far exceeded my expectations. IMHO, it is truly one of the great dive venues that offers a subject-rich environment, ideal for photography. Cost-wise it is excellent value. I stayed with very efficient and friendly Australian-run Tulamben Wreck Divers http://www.tulambenwreckdivers.com/ The resort provided my OWN personal dive guide for my entire six-day stay, who was excellent at finding all the critters on my Tulamben wish list.

Here are a few shots I'm please with. It will take me a while to go through the rest and post more. All constructive comments and suggestions welcome! All were taken with the Olympus 5050.

Harlequin Shrimp f8.0, 1/250s, INON 165 Macro, Single INON Z-220 strobe.
P4070125.jpg

Nembrotha kubaryana Nudibranch (striped form) f8.0, 1/125s, INON 165 Macro, Single INON Z-220 strobe.

P4060014.jpg

Pygmy Seahorse, Hippocampus bargibanti (yellow variation), f8.0, 1/100s, INON 165 Macro, Single INON Z-220 strobe.

P4050029.jpg

Wow, where did you find that pygmy seahorse? I was there last year for a week and couldn't find a single one. My guide said he had never seen one at Tulamben.

Nice shots.

marpacifica:
Wow, where did you find that pygmy seahorse? I was there last year for a week and couldn't find a single one. My guide said he had never seen one at Tulamben.

Nice shots.
Hi Marpacifica,
Thanks for the kind comments.
This yellow pygmy was found on the Liberty wreck on a sea fan at the bottom of the wreck. On one dive we found at least three on the sea fan. There is also a pink variant found at about 30 metres on the nearby dive site, Alam Anda, reachable only by boat.
Reportedly there was a red variant at Kubu, but it hasn't been seen for a few months. I certainly didn't see it.
Here's the pinky from Alam Anda.
P4070032.jpg

Really Nice Macro Pic's

I don't think that the pygmy is Hippocampus bargibanti but Hippocampus denise (sp?). A Hippocampus bargibanti from Kubu is in my gallery - for comparision.

Fantastic shots by the way. Wish I was back at Tulamben now.

Very nice pics, thanks for sharing them.

wow.. nice pics.. My favorite "Nudibrach"!!! I will be diving in Tulamben on this coming July.. Hope i can get a nice photo of those macro.. i have a Olympus C770 camera and the housing. But planning to buy a better camera for taking underwater photo. any suggestion guys?

thanks,
mantaRay

read through the forums you will find heaps! also try www.digitaldiver.net. I have just bought an SP-350 and can't wait to take it underwater! great pics by the way Reefwreck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom