tuff as nails .. gear that won't die

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubapro50

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
there is scuba gear out there that just won't die and keeps going and going. Example is the Scubapro jet fins that haven't changed much in 30 years. Check ebay and you'll just about always find a pair for sale. Another is the MR12 regulator by Voit ... still around but repackage by Mares. Do you have an old piece of gear that is so good you can't get get rid of it ? Do you know of other SCUBA gear that has held up thru time and is as good today as it was 20 years ago.

I have some Genesis HP-120's doubled up, they are 15 years old and spotless on the inside, should last many more decades i hope!

Other stuff i have hasnt had the testing time yet, only a hundred and twenty or so dives on any of it. I agree on the jets, seem like they will last forever, i bought a set secondhand and they were old but still going strong. I have a Gul (UK brand) 5mm wetsuit that is over 10 years old, not quite 5mm anymore, but still standing up there after years of abuse both diving and in other watersports - superseeded by my DS now though :wink:

Seatec SC200 Jacket Style BC, I love this thing........So well constructed.

I bought a Dacor Pacer XL reg in 1981 for $149. I dove it 20 years, in all that time only one spot of corrosion formed on the backside of the 2nd stage. I finally sold it two years ago to a guy on eBay who e-mailed me and said that it was in such outstanding condition that he was going to use it as a rental in his dive op.

ShakaZulu:
Seatec SC200 Jacket Style BC, I love this thing........So well constructed.
I picked up a Scubapro Mk5/Adjustable on ebay last year. The picture showed more green than chrome & the price was dirt cheap. I wanted to see if it could be saved. A couple trips thru the acid bath and now it is chrome and brass and working fine.

I would think you wouldn't have a lot of call to replace a BP :D

mweitz:
I would think you wouldn't have a lot of call to replace a BP :D
SS or AL - no problem, i have heard of people shattering ABS ones in cold environments by overtightening the nuts - as the BP got brittle. :wink: Wings on the other hand could last a good while too, a few even have warranties where you can get it replaced too. I just got a new bag in my old wing (secondhand) and new elbow for $65, not bad :wink:

I have a set of Interspiro doubles, only problem is finding a shop that can fill to 4400psi, as well as a hydro joint that can pump up to the necessary pressure.
They've got a Seatec Seahorse wing on 'em too, both early '70s vintage.
Got the Giant UDT Duck Feet I always dive with too, they're '60s vintage.
And then there are my Poseidon Cyklon 300s (30+ yrs old), and the Snark IIIs, & USD 1955 72cu ft tank that always passes hydro with a + rating, and...

The only piece of original gear that I still dive with regularly is a pair of 1970 JetFins. Otherwise, except for lead, nothing that goes in the water is older than maybe 10 years or so. There's a Voit mask and a 10" BFK that have been retired from my dive bag, though not from my heart.

Well, yeah, your Voit MR12, I got a couple of those and yes they are as good today as ANYTHING out there and probably better. I got my Calypso, works just fine, my Mistral is 47 years old. When it was made I had not even started kinder school yet for quite a few more years, my uncle gave it to me in about 68. I have several quality brass/metal depth guages from the 60s that work just fine from USD company and Voit. I have a Dacor BC that is 30 years old. My newest gear until just a few weeks ago was at least 20 years old and it all still works great. My Tekna T2100s still out perform anything out there. In fact, save for the modern rendition of back inflation bouyancy compensation--the BP and wing----almost all of the equipment made today is INFERIOR to stuff made in the 60s and 70s.
There is another thread like this a fellow started called "Show Us your Old Gear". N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom