Tuesday's (6/8) Maui pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba65,
Those bullets are in 25 feet of water. I only dive for fun, not work. I dive about 3 to 4 times a week, especially in the summer months when the water is warmer.

Gilligan:
I had a friend open one of these on a work bench and the powder was still dry.

wow! amazing

justleesa,

The primer is what makes the round go off, so dropping it on the primer could do just that. However, primers are recessed a small amount into the brass case so just dropping it on that end is not likely to trigger it. However, if it were dropped on something which struck the primer directly, like a small stone, protruding nail head, etc., it could very well make it fire.

The round would not likely have much effect on anything at this point, if it did fire. The expanding gases from the round would expelled the bullet from the case, but it would not have any particular direction, lacking a barrel. The gases would rapidly escape from behind the bullet once it was dislodged from the case, leaving minimal force behind the bullet to propel it. It is possible that the case could rupture at this point sending small pieces of brass everywhere.

What makes a firearm work so well is that the bullet is guided by a barrel to give it direction. The gases escaping from the case once the round has been fired continue to build and are trapped between the case and the bullet, which is actually plugging the barrel, to a degree. The case does not rupture here as it is surrounded by the barrel, preventing this from happening. As the gases expand the bullet is pushed more rapidly down the barrel. Once the bullet leaves the barrel, the gases are vented behind the bullet, and cannot give it further velocity.

Lacking the barrel to trap the gases and give the bullet direction, the round is way less dangerous than when in a firearm. However, this is not to say you cannot be killed or injured seriously if it should accidently fire. It just that your chances are reduced a lot.

Care should be taken when handling any sort of ammuntion.

From the looks of the relative size of the rounds to the diver I would venture a guess that these are 20mm anti-aircraft rounds, WW2 vintage. They may or may not have point detonating projectiles (bullets that blow up when they hit something), probably not. And yes, they are live rounds and are dangerous. And yes, dropping any of the rounds so that the primer is impacted strongly enough will set off the round.

Many, many years ago in a land far, far away when I was a young, dashing Army helicopter pilot, I was "backlogging" (bringing some stuff back from an outpost so the enemy could not scrounge it up) a WHOLE bunch of ammunition. .50 caliber machinegun ammunition, mortar rounds and the like.
We had about 800 pound of the stuff onboard the helicopter when we landed. Some of the grunts at the FSB came up to help us off-load the ammo from the helicopter. They started grabbing and slinging belts of machinegun ammo into a pile as if it were so much discarded newspaper. I strongly suggested that they be more careful, but my protestations fell on deaf ears.

Just a minute or two later, a very, very loud BWAAAMMMM ! ! ! ruptured the air.

Needless to say, the world became very still and very quiet for an interminable 5 to 10 seconds.

They were much more careful after that.

When slinging the ammo out, a primer on one of the .50 cal rounds hit the projectile point of another round and went off.

In other words, DON'T MESS WITH THAT STUFF !!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom