Tubbataha Reef Experience Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rakis

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi All,

My gf and I are currently looking into diving Tubbataha Reef, but we are concerned about the experience level required. I have heard different things from some of the divers we've met in Palawan, and was hoping to get a broader idea of what we are getting ourselves into ;-). We are both fairly new divers (24), and want to make sure that our experience levels are good enough for a liveaboard before spending a good deal of money.

We've done one liveaboard out at the Similan islands a month ago, so we are still fairly fresh. There were a couple of strong drift dives, but nothing compared to our most recent dive at Manta Bowl. That last dive trip I had to abort one of the dives due to such strong current. Since we were given a hook to actually hook onto rocks, I'd like to think that was an abnormal situation. Has anybody dived both sites? Can you compare? Are the currents at Tubbataha like Manta Bowl or are they just drift dives?

Would a liveaboard out to Tubbataha be a suggested trip for new(er) divers?

Thanks so much for your help!

I will provide you my general "opinion". I think it may be a bit pre-mature for you to take a trip like Tubbataha. And the fact that your are wise enough to ask the question is a good thing!! I think you could postpone the Tubbataha trip for a year or so, while you garner more experience and confidence in your and your GF's underwater abilitity. I would hate to spend a lot of money on a trip and not completely enjoy each dive because I was concerned it might be beyond my ability level.

There are so many other good dive spots to visit in the Philippines to get the required experience under your belt. Since you are not that experienced, many of the spots should provide you the same level of satisfaction that a trip to Tubba.. would.

So that is my opinion and it is based on doing this for a long time........ I am sure many folks will disagree with my thoughts on this.

Rogersea, thank you so much for your quick response! Diving Tubbataha has been a looming question for the last couple of weeks since our experience at Manta Bowl. I really appreciate your insight, and it is good to hear that there are other sites comparable.

Do you have any suggestions as far as 'your favorite' or 'must see' dive spot in the Philippines? We are currently in El Nido, and looking to take a ferry to Coron or go back to Puerto Princesa (depending on what we've heard about Tubbataha). Are there any good sites that you'd recommend for our skill level?

Thanks much!!

Rakis,
I am not sure what your schedule allows or how long you are in the Philippines for, but if you are mobile and can travel away from Palawan, I would suggest Diving in some of the places that are often mentioned on the board.

Luzon: Anilao, Puerto Galera(although it is actually on Mindoro)

Visayas: Bohol- Alona, Cabilao
Cebu--Malapascua, Moalboal
Negros- Apo Island

Each one of the above listed places has great dive spots where you can continue to get more experience and if you want to take additional courses they can also accomodate you in that regard.

IMHO while you continue to get more experience the most important aspect to work on prior to going to places like Tubbataha is your bouyancy control...

I hope this helps you a little and I would suggest that you spend some time on this board researching those places I listed... If you have a lot of time on your hands it is easy to do a Visayan Dive adventure where you can visit Bohol, Malapascua, Moalboal and APO Island in a couple of weeks.

I disagree... :D I think a lot of people will agree with what Roger said! And I do think he has given you sound advice.

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to do Tubbataha with your skill level as long as you let your DMs know your level of experience and they will guide you accordingly. But You probably won,t appreciate it as much as if you go after more experience and ease in the water... And add to this that you are currently very close to severaly world class destinations that will cost you much less than the liveaboard... I thinl you'll get more value for your money at the land destinations + gain experience. The Tubataha later on if you still want to...

I sure wish I had that level of diving nearby where I am situated!!! I'd be diving every week-end instead of 1-2 times a year...:depressed:

Rogersea is 100% correct. Only thing I would add dive more walls before heading to tubbataha. One of my dive buddy who had 50+ dives was quite worried when he first saw the drop in Apo Reef. Tubbataha is even larger than Apo Reef. Gaining more experience and confidence will provide you with a stress free dive so you can actually enjoy all your dives.

Anilao is close to Manila, easy to gain more experience (dive time) with lots of site to choose from ..assuming you live in metro manila

I have dived tubbataha twice and the current's were quite tame apart from one dive called the washing machine i think?? The dive guide abadoned the dive as divers were getting pulled down by a huge downcurrent. Those aware of it were coping ok but yeah i would recommend some more experience on walls etc.
cheers

Hi Rakis,
Im one of the owners of Island & Cruise Adventure, Inc. We're a Scuba Travel Wholesaler in the Los Angeles area and we get questions like this ALL the time... We have sent thousands of divers to Tubbataha and all the new divers ask the same thing.

Really, it all depends on how comfortable you are in the water. If you are a really nervous diver, then I'd say it would be best to get more experience first. Not really because its a hard place to dive, because its not at all, but more because when you are new, you will not fully absorb your experience in a world class destination.

But I personally did Tubbataha with only 13 dives on my belt and I was perfectly fine. I have since gone back to Tubbataha plenty of times after. Sure, conditions can get rough at times, but it is the same everywhere else. To the most part, Tubbataha is a very easy place to dive. Just let your DMs know to keep an eye out for you and you guys will be fine.

But wherever you decide to go, and if you would like your trip to be arranged, check us out and let us know if you need anything. Also, if you have anymore questions and just want to talk more about Tubbataha or need advise on other dive destinations, Ill be happy to help

Take care and have fun! =)

Ken
IslandCruiseAdventure.com

Ken,
Perhaps you should move the advertising portion of your posts to the appropriate portion of this forum. I have read three recent posts where you are advertising your services... I think your input has been great until you get to the "we can arrange your trip" for you and I am assuming this is for the standard 15 to 20% commision paid by the resort/boat/ etc etc. this forum is really for the ""FREE" Exchange of information"...

Cheers,
Roger

Back
Top Bottom