Tubbataha in 2005

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

love2godeep

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi! I'm planning to do a liveaboard trip to Tubbataha Reefs (Philippines) next April. It's fabulous diving, virgin corals with lots of large pelagics. Tubbataha lies in an area that is one of the richest in the world in marine life. It is protected by the Philippine government, and so has not seen the destruction of so many other places. Tubbataha can be reached only by boat. Due to the weather, it's only possible to go there a few months of the year (March/April through June).

You can find out a lot about Tubbataha by doing a search on Google; here's one informative site:

http://www.intas-travel.com/diving/dive_locations/tubbataha_1.html

Anyway, I thought it would be fun if other SB members joined the group. I've dived with the boat owner quite a few times, and he's very good. There are only 12 spaces on the boat, and he'll take good care of us.

Here's the link:

http://www.palawan-yacht-charter.com/trips/cruises.html#

I'm going on Trip #4. PM me if you're interested, and I'll give you some additional information. I'll also be glad to help you with travel arrangements, as well as suggestions of what to do before/after Tubbataha. I've been over there quite a few times.

Airfare to the Philippines is often quite reasonable--often between $700-1000 round trip from the West Coast; slightly higher from the East. Although this may be a little more than the Caribbean or Hawaii, you will end up ahead as the cost of living and diving is so reasonable. You can rent a beachfront cottage (with bathroom) on a fabulous beach for less than $20 a night! Food is also very inexpensive. A boat dive with DM is $20; shore dives $15. (This includes tanks, air, and weights.)

The spaces are filling up quickly. Already week 5 is sold out. It's hard to plan so far in advance, but I guarantee you, it will be worth it!

PM me with any questions!

Here's an excerpt from an article about Tubbataha that just appeared in Sport Diver:

There are immaculate places that are simply immaculate because they've been largely left alone. The Tubbataha Reef system is just such a place. Many divers have probably not heard of this UNESCO World Heritage Site. Out in the middle of the Sulu Sea about 100 miles southeast of the Philippines, Tubbataha exists in a remote area known as the Coral Triangle. The Tubbataha Reefs are comprised of two extensive atoll-like reefs divided by a 5-mile-wide channel. They rise out of depths greater than 3,000 feet and form sheer walls and vertical drop-offs. The marine life here is staggering—mantas, eagle rays, and sharks including whitetip, blacktip, gray reef, nurse, shovelnose, leopard, and hammerheads are common sights. The walls are covered with soft corals and sponges, and an untold number of creatures such as nudibranchs, flatworms, crinoids, crabs and shrimp inhabit these extensive reef systems. Shoals of schooling reef fish including groupers, snappers, Moorish idols and jacks patrol the drop-offs. Pelagics venture in from the open ocean on a regular basis, and divers think they have died and gone to heaven.

Can't wait to go!

Back
Top Bottom