Tubataha liveaboards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pediatron

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are going to the Philippines in April next year and are now considering a liveaboard to Tubataha. I think we are likely to run into availability issues and I have also heard that some companies are far better than others. As we explore the likely limited availability over mid April, can anyone steer me towards the good operators or perhaps away from the not-so-good. Thanks so much!!

Best diving in Philippines.
There are many liveaboards from no expense spare(Azores) to budget conscientious(MB Dschubba).
I have never been on MB Dschubba but did a trip with its predecessor(MB Moonshadow) with Mark. He has been doing Tubattaha for many many yrs.
Expedition fleet has several boats going there.
You might need a connection flight from Manila to Puerto Princesa to board the boat.

Enough information on this board for further information.

Happy diving.

Hi,

Feel free to drop me a line: I have some contacts amongst the liveaboard operators for Tubbataha. Might be able to help you with your planning.

Cheers,
Andy

I'd absolutely avoid the "Explorer Fleet," which is difficult to do as their boats really dominate the Tubbataha market. Probably the worst liveaboard I've ever been on in terms of price vs value, all around disorganization, quality of the rooms and boat. Personally, aside from my experience with the operator, I didn't find Tubbataha to be that great a diving experience. Having dove all over the Philippines, I'd actually put it way down the list. My favorite places are Malapascua, Dumaguete, and Anilao.

My favorite places are Malapascua, Dumaguete, and Anilao.
I guess it depends on what you're looking for. That's why I always try to get specific information rather than general impressions. I spent a week at Dumaguete last month and didn't see one shark, one pelagic, or one fish over half a meter. I realize one doesn't go there for sharks, pelagics, etc., and I enjoyed my trip thoroughly. What specifically makes you prefer Dumaguete to Tubbataha? After trips to Lembeh, Komodo, Bali, etc., I pretty much have the ghost pipefish and blue ribbon eels covered, and would welcome sites with bigger and more fish.

The Philippines is the wrong destination if you are looking for big stuff..the only place you'll reliably find it is Malapascua. Komodo, Lembeh and Bali are all some of my favorite places in the world...Tubbataha doesnt begin to compare in any respect (macro, big stuff, amount of fish, coral, you name it). Love Dumaguete as I especially like macro..and yes, that's the primary reason why one would go there, although there's great reef diving at Apo, Siquijor etc. as a break from the muck diving..and I dislike Tubbataha as I feel it's overall pretty mediocre. It's too bad the pier is closed now in Dumaguete, that was my favorite single dive in the Philippines.

The Philippines is the wrong destination if you are looking for big stuff..the only place you'll reliably find it is Malapascua. Komodo, Lembeh and Bali are all some of my favorite places in the world...Tubbataha doesnt begin to compare in any respect (macro, big stuff, amount of fish, coral, you name it). Love Dumaguete as I especially like macro..and yes, that's the primary reason why one would go there, although there's great reef diving at Apo, Siquijor etc. as a break from the muck diving..and I dislike Tubbataha as I feel it's overall pretty mediocre. It's too bad the pier is closed now in Dumaguete, that was my favorite single dive in the Philippines.
We all have our favourite places for diving and for different reasons.
I have been to Lembeh ONCE and vowed never again. Bunaken is so much better.
Beside the Mola Mola there is nothing in Bali. The Liberty wreck is good if you like it but I preferred those in Truk or even Coron.
On his last visit to Tubbataha couple of yrs ago my buddy saw THREE whalesharks in one dive so he was very impressed.
But I never seen any on my previous three visit. That is life.
Dumaguette, been there once and no intention to return whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom