TTL? automatic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roswin

Reaction score
My gear is a c-50 with PT-014. On a previous thread about strobes it's been suggested a Inon D-180 strobe. Most of the times I actually use the automatic exposure, the flash will follow it and gave the approriate amount of light? Is there any real TTL flash for my gear?
I'm pretty confused

The internal flash of your camera does not give you TTL. I'm not totally familiar with your C-50 but with the C-4040 and C-5050 I have, you can adjust the strength/intensity of the internal flash but it does not read the lighting requirements from the camera and quench the flash when the correct level is reached.

The Inon D-180 will do that in a way. You set the strobe's aperture setting to match the cameras aperture setting. The only way to get true TTL is with a strobe hot wired directly to the camera through the housing. None of the PT-XXX housings allow that.

Well, but most of the times I use my camera in automatoc mode which means that I don't know really what's the "f" of the camera. So, how do I arrange my strobe? I've been told that the YS90 can arrange the amount of light even in auto mode. Is there anyone who knows something about that?

roswin:
Well, but most of the times I use my camera in automatoc mode which means that I don't know really what's the "f" of the camera. So, how do I arrange my strobe? I've been told that the YS90 can arrange the amount of light even in auto mode. Is there anyone who knows something about that?
D-180
If you shoot mostly in Program or Auto mode you can still use the D-180 in Auto mode. Just turn the Info ON on the C50 and you will be able to see the aperture setting (f-stop) on your screen. Then set this number that the C50 chose for you on the D-180. The problem is that in P mode the camera is going to choose slow shutter speeds (usually between 1/30s to 1/100s) and wide apertures for you.

It's better to shoot in Aperture priority and select an f-stop yourself (f4.0 - f8.0 are pretty workable settings underwater) and dial the same number on the strobe.

Better still shoot in Manual and start with a shutter speed of 1/125s and f5.6. You'll find that you won't have to fiddle around too much with these setting UW when using a strobe.

Sea and Sea YS90DX
If you want to use this strobe in TTL then you will need the digital adapter made by Matthias (German). The digtal adapter will 'watch' your camera's flash and 'mimmick' it ie fire when the camera's flash fires and quench when the camera's flash quenches. See his website: http://www.muenster.de/~matthias/blitz/indexe.htm

Ikelite DS50 and DS125
Ikelite also has a TTL sensor that controls their DS-50 and DS-125 strobes. The principle is the same as Matthias' adaptor except it'll only work with the Ike strobes. Some people have been happy with this setup and some not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom