Tsunami relief...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeddah Aquanaut

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hey all, Greetings from Saudi Arabia, the other Magic Kingdom. :eyebrow: Everyone knows about the utter chaos and destruction caused by the massive tsunami last week. From Indonesia all the way to the coast of eastern Africa, so many people dead, so many injured, displaced, traumatized...etc. I have been busy networking with my former Peace Corps buddies on helping raise/donate money for relief efforts in our country of service, Sri Lanka. Whether it be there or other affected countries, it is so important to help out, not only with immediate relief, but in helping to rebuild entire communities and their very livelyhoods. Not only as fellow human beings, but also as divers who (many of us) frequent some of these affected spots, formerly picture perfect paradises. While we dive, swim, relax, et al. the locals work so hard to make our vacations as perfect as can be. I'd be interested in knowing what fellow SB-ers think, or are doing. At least with Sri Lanka I (and I can find out reputable donor recipients in other locals) know of some good organisations. My family is from (and in) Sri Lanka. Fortunately, they and our house were not touched by the disaster. Whether it be through SB, your local what-ever club, church, VFW...etc. I'd like to encourage people to do all they can. Even if you can't donate immediately, don't worry. The need will be there long after the news fades from CNN. Either post reply or pm me, I'd like to hear from others. ---David Bozetarnik, RPCV Sri Lanka, 91-94.

Oops! After posting this thread, I saw "mars2u"'s posting in the "Asia" section. The suggestions posted are good. Let's not forget Oxfam, UNICEF and even A.I.D. If you're wanting local agencies, orphanages,...etc. I can help find out. I'm glad I found the other posting. We SB-ers, and divers in general, are in a unique position to be a sort of relief-multiplier, helping to generate interest in each of our communites. Thanks...

I am from California but lived in Thailand for 7+ years. I also spent many years as a commercial diver. I am seeking anyway to put my skills to work in the aftermath clean-up especially as a diver. Please keep me in mind if you know of anyone coordinating such efforts. I can pay my way to the effected areas. Thailand would be the most natural first choice, as I speak Thai. But I'm willing to go where I'm needed. I run my own company (a commercial falconry service) so my schedule is flexible if there is immediate need. And as you mentioned, I could make myself available months down the road. -Jeff Diaz

Jeddah Aquanaut:
Hey all, Greetings from Saudi Arabia, the other Magic Kingdom. :eyebrow: Everyone knows about the utter chaos and destruction caused by the massive tsunami last week. From Indonesia all the way to the coast of eastern Africa, so many people dead, so many injured, displaced, traumatized...etc. I have been busy networking with my former Peace Corps buddies on helping raise/donate money for relief efforts in our country of service, Sri Lanka. Whether it be there or other affected countries, it is so important to help out, not only with immediate relief, but in helping to rebuild entire communities and their very livelyhoods. Not only as fellow human beings, but also as divers who (many of us) frequent some of these affected spots, formerly picture perfect paradises. While we dive, swim, relax, et al. the locals work so hard to make our vacations as perfect as can be. I'd be interested in knowing what fellow SB-ers think, or are doing. At least with Sri Lanka I (and I can find out reputable donor recipients in other locals) know of some good organisations. My family is from (and in) Sri Lanka. Fortunately, they and our house were not touched by the disaster. Whether it be through SB, your local what-ever club, church, VFW...etc. I'd like to encourage people to do all they can. Even if you can't donate immediately, don't worry. The need will be there long after the news fades from CNN. Either post reply or pm me, I'd like to hear from others. ---David Bozetarnik, RPCV Sri Lanka, 91-94.

The manager of the dive operation (Visa) that I dove with several years ago on Koh Phi Phi is putting together an emergency relief fund for the people of that island (her husband is a native). If anyone is interested, send me a PM and I'll tell you more about it. I'm giving a donation since it was the location I'm most familiar of the seriously affected areas.

Dr. Bill

Great guys,

Please send me your contact e-mails. As I posted earlier, we have enough pro divers to asses dive sites and would like to get an opinion from marine biologists. I will let you know details and appreciate your help.

Most important thing now to support tourism in Thailand. That will support local economy and Thai people who depend on tourism industry.

Jeddah Aquanaut:
I'd be interested in knowing what fellow SB-ers think, or are doing.
Being an avid web surfer, I have noticed an incredible number of sites with prominant content asking people to give to relief efforts. I have not seen this much web outpouring since half the web went black some years ago (another issue).

Jeddah Aquanaut:
At least with Sri Lanka I (and I can find out reputable donor recipients in other locals) know of some good organisations. My family is from (and in) Sri Lanka. Fortunately, they and our house were not touched by the disaster.
It is heartwarming to hear that a fellow SB'er and his family are ok. One of my co-workers is from southern India. His hometown also suffered losses, but his family is all well.

Jeddah Aquanaut:
Whether it be through SB, your local what-ever club, church, VFW...etc. I'd like to encourage people to do all they can. Even if you can't donate immediately, don't worry. The need will be there long after the news fades from CNN. Either post reply or pm me, I'd like to hear from others. ---David Bozetarnik, RPCV Sri Lanka, 91-94.
One thing I'd like to stress to those in the US. There are many "can drives" and such going on. While I'm sure these are well intentioned, they are not extremely helpfull. This tradegy occured nearly on the other side of the globe. What we consider to be "easy eats" are not neccissarily usefull over there. The best bet is to give cold hard cash that can be turned into staples like rice and water.

James

Jeddah Aquanaut:

Agreed..my donation has already been made. I do have a question that you might have an insight into...it was actually raised by a Sri Lankan on NPR. He asked that since so many of the affected people were muslim, why are the wealthy muslim countries in the middle east not helping? What is the view in the Kingdom? Does it get much press?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom