tsunami by satellite.../photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cancun mark:
it makes me look around where I live and wonder what it would look like had it happened here.

Certainly makes you change your opinion about beach front properties huh?

Imagine the asteroid that hit near you and supposedly wiped out the dinoaurs. It probably made this tsunami look like a ripple.

Hank49:
Imagine the asteroid that hit near you and supposedly wiped out the dinoaurs. It probably made this tsunami look like a ripple.

the first time I drove to merida from Cancun, I was about 30 mins out of Merida when the bus went over a slight rise and there was a road cut, then the road started to descent slightly into Merida. It took me a little while, but I realised I had just gone over the Chicxulub crater rim. Truly one of the worlds greatest geomorphic wonders, its just a shame it is so hard to see from the ground.

cancun mark:
the first time I drove to merida from Cancun, I was about 30 mins out of Merida when the bus went over a slight rise and there was a road cut, then the road started to descent slightly into Merida. It took me a little while, but I realised I had just gone over the Chicxulub crater rim. Truly one of the worlds greatest geomorphic wonders, its just a shame it is so hard to see from the ground.

I found this site about the Chicxulub impact that estimated the runup, or tsumani after impact to have been 150 to 200 meters high in Venezuela, 100-150 in North Africa and 100 meters in Europe. Another showed a model that demonstrated the same effect as dropping a large stone into the water and the "fountain" that follows. Hard to fathom something like that.
www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/LPSC99/pdf/1527.pdf

Hank49:
I found this site about the Chicxulub impact that estimated the runup, or tsumani after impact to have been 150 to 200 meters high in Venezuela, 100-150 in North Africa and 100 meters in Europe. Another showed a model that demonstrated the same effect as dropping a large stone into the water and the "fountain" that follows. Hard to fathom something like that.
www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/LPSC99/pdf/1527.pdf

Some pictures and animation

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/planetearth/asteroid_jello_001122.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom