TSDT Goes to Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cave Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I broached the subject with my LDS a few weeks ago of trying to put together a weekend trip to Florida. I was thinking something along the following lines and would like some input to gauge interest. Responding to this post is in no way a commitment, I am just testing the waters so to speak.

Take a long weekend trip to somewhere in Florida. Thinking of Vortex Springs, Crystal River or Ginnie springs so that divers of all skill levels could enjoy.

Go by charter bus so we can all catch a little rest on the way there and back.

Possibly leave on a Thursday night about 7 ish p.m (depending on departure point) driving all night to arrive at hotel by 7-8 a.m Friday morning.

Making arrangements for two tank dives on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Leaving Sunday afternoon to get back home around midnight.

Trying to get the cost of the bus, hotel and diving to be included in the price and aiming for $350 or less.

Possibly doing this sometime in November.

Alternatively, if people from the Houston area or even Austin and Dallas are interested, bus could depart from Houston, stop to pick up Beaumont divers, maybe even some LA divers on the way to FL.

Feedback anyone?

We've talked about doing this before and just never had enough interest. This was before Scuba Board, of course!

Wonder if those buses let you take your own tanks? :confused:

I like the idea, it sounds like fun. It will jsut depend on my schedule at that certain time.

Logan

Will keep my eye on this one... Keep us informed on what you find out about this...

I'd be interested if I am able to get away for the weekend at that time.

i would be interested. I know an lds in houston has done these trips before. their price was in the 350 ballpark. talked to a guy who works at Compaq. their club did one but on a two day basis. it turned into too big of a rush. three days is about right.

Dee once bubbled...
We've talked about doing this before and just never had enough interest. This was before Scuba Board, of course!

Wonder if those buses let you take your own tanks? :confused:

I talked to one of the charter companies myself and explained what I wanted to do. They felt that they would have no problem accomadating any/all of our dive gear and some of their newer busses could accomodate up to 57 people. Based on the information I was given, I think we would need at least 35 people in order to keep the price down.

Those of you expressing a doubt about the time off, please feel free to suggest alternatives.

Instead of Fri, Sat, Sun, would a Sat, Sun, Mon work better? Or how about a Tues, Wed, Thurs? If it included a holiday (thanksgiving?) would that make it better or worse? How about if we planned something around January when it's normally to miserable to dive here, but the weather in Florida is still good?

Let's hear some ideas!

My interest is also piqued.....but we'll need to work out how to get the Dallas/Ft. Worth folks down there and back....

Back
Top Bottom