TSandM -- Her Greatest Posts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was rereading these training threads that have course reports from TS and M. Such a great writing style!

I only met and dived with her once, and damn it I miss her.

Nightly F Report

This morning began painfully early with my arrival (not quite last -- STEVE got there after me) at a foggy, chilly Cove 2, inhabited by us six DIR wannabees and SIX -- count them, SIX -- OW/AOW classes. Those who know Cove 2 will know that it would present no challenge for a major league outfielder to throw a baseball across it. It's not much space for thirty or forty divers, and we needed SHALLOW water in order to look as stupid as possible. Therefore, we ended up with two things: an entry at the opposite end of the cove from my jubilantly acquired and thought to be convenient parking space, and a long surface swim to the down line.

[....]

Everybody who has done Fundies knows the sequence: Practice kicks. Those of us who have never done them before have more trouble than others. Practice ascents. Those with more experience have less trouble than others, but nobody meets DIR standards. Hover, and try to control the errant extremities that want to help. And in the midst of it all, try to keep track of buddies who may or may not be experiencing various difficulties. It all comes out in the video review, which is the fun part to write about.

Our trio survived dive one, and surfaced, and Steve asked us how we felt about it, and I said, "It didn't go nearly as bad as I anticipated." These were fighting words, which clearly set up the second dive for our trio, which went as badly as I could have imagined . . . or maybe not quite. The second dive for our group was a Three Stooges movie, with no diver who could maintain position, depth or attitude, and all of us trying to run over poor Steve, who was serving as instructor and videographer.

Rec Triox: Desperately trying to take diving to a new level :)

Last edited:
And this should be engraved somewhere, some people do need the weight, and are properly weighted when they say they are.

I think he was quite surprised at his inability to take any weight off me. He took weight off everybody else, I think, and he had made some disparaging comment about overweighted divers the day before, saying he had seen a woman my size diving with THIRTY POUNDS of weight . . . I had said, "Well, that's pretty much what I'm diving," and he had raised his eyebrows. Well, he tried to take weight off me today, and none was going anywhere. Between my native buoyancy and the several dozen undergarments I wear in an attempt to stay in the water for an hour, I NEED all that weight.

And this should be engraved somewhere, some people do need the weight, and are properly weighted when they say they are.
Yes, and I'm one of those needing a lot of weight. An instructor I took a course from years ago said I was crazy wearing all that. Until weight checks changed his mind. "Man, you really need that much, don't you"?

You play a wind instrument, don't you?

I'm a runner...
Yeah, but not sure what that means re weighting.

Another thank you to Lynne, in the beyond. "Native buoyancy" - oh heck yes, do I relate. I'm very floaty. Currently 22 lbs on top of 6 lb BP and 5 lb STA insert is what I need, so 33 lbs. Struggling to stay down and being afraid you're going to head to the surface is no fun at all. I really needed to read her quote about the weight she needed today. :flowers:

Wow. Really new here but have enjoyed reading this thread and sorry for the loss that obviously her family and this board are enduring. Sorry I didn't get the chance to get to know her.

Back
Top Bottom