TSA Stealing at Miami Airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's why valuable items.are in my carry on and I check.
These were carry-on bags!

I try my best not to lose sight of my carry-on during screening and, as you do, always check contents before I leave security.

Some agents are just rat bastards and our soft on crime, liberal government is only making things worse!

At MNL (Manila) I’ve had departure lounge TSA try to shake me down for a necklace of local cultured pearls from our carry-on.

At least she “asked”.
How did the "shake down" appoach happen?

One of my friends told me in Egypt a security agent took his passport and stuck it in his pocket till my friend payed him.

One of my friends told me in Egypt a security agent took his passport and stuck it in his pocket till my friend payed him.
Similar activity happened in Venezuela, they "confiscated" my tools and asked for $$cash$$ if I wanted to retrieve them. I told them keep them and try selling them in eBay. I documented the incident and was refunded by my company afterwards.

How did the "shake down" appoach happen?

We had bought ten or so strings of silver/black cultured pearls from street vendors at Sabang Atlantis. iirc they were maybe $10 each, like that. I put them in my carry-on just for the same reasoning of this thread.

Checked bags? Aint nobody stealing SCUBA gear. Little packages of typically wrapped-up street vendor jewellery ? Why risk it, too easy to pocket. Carry it.

Departure lounge TSA. My wallet set off the magnetometer. The guard pushed it back to me and said, “it’s the credit cards”.

The invasive search station was a female. Largish, bulky, imposing look. As she went through our carry on, she unwrapped what she had certainly seen many times before, the standard paper folded around street jewellery. She had about three of them splayed open when she started going on about how lovely they are, why would i really need to take so many back, that she would really look good in these during the holidays, and she just kept on. And on, and on. She used some phrasing such as, “you really should give me a set…”

I don’t know what i said that told her I wasn’t going to be played. We got passed into the transit louge.

I sat there, not thinking about the attempted shakedown but wondering why for the first time ever in my life that my wallet had set off the alarm.

Then, i remembered that single edge razor blade i always carry in my wallet. I had taken it ORD>SFO>MAN and then got it back thru MAN where i removed it and tossed it in the garbage. So much for security.

They used to pull similar outbound TSA scams in Roatan with batteries. If you looked like you would roll-over, they would simply take your batteries. I have not seen that one in years. Some attributed it to misinterpretation of airline battery rules. Seems to have stopped.

I think security everywhere supplements their income by reselling insect spray that is seized.

There is "shake down" and there is stealth theft. The video starts off showing examples of stealth theft from unlocked carry on bags in line for X-ray.

How many people trust the airport security peeps? No one!

How many people lock their carryon? Or secure unlockable items like a purse inside a lockable carry on?

With dice gear you have to unlock it, mine gets searched every time.

The takeaway? Don't put loose stuff in the bins. Plan to have all those items like money and wallet zipped securely away in your carryon. I do this way before I get to the check-in. I don't want them to see where I put things. Security through obscurity. There are many opportunists both in and out of the airports. My wallet never sits in a back pocket, and if I have my backpack with me, it's hidden in there. If my pack is not on my back, it's wrapped around an arm or a leg. It pays to be paranoid when you know that there's an element that likes to prey on tourists in every country.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom