TSA Damaged my gear...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never had issues with scuba but in the past I traveled quite a bit with my parachute container and that always made for exciting diacussions ...

now that's definitely something i would do in carry on. For at least a few reasons.

Of course with a stainless BPW in carry on security is going to open it and I get nasty looks and comments about weight, my response is my life depends on this equipment, it stays with me.

I had TSA question my backplate going to Belize, I stated it was for a mild case of scoliosis, and I needed it for the airplane seat. They made me put it on and noticed it formed to my back, they then looked at each other and apologized to me for the inconvenience...

I had TSA question my backplate going to Belize, I stated it was for a mild case of scoliosis, and I needed it for the airplane seat. They made me put it on and noticed it formed to my back, they then looked at each other and apologized to me for the inconvenience...

Oh man, that's amazing!! I don't know if they would buy it from me haha!

I had a truly frightening experience with TSA once.
When I returned home, I opened my HID light Pelican case and was HORRIFIED. Inside of the Pelican, was a charred note from TSA that they had opened and inspected the contents of the Pelican case. The light head had been plugged into the battery terminals and the switch was still turned on. The light head was completely melted, and the other contents of the Pelican case were melted and charred.

Bad news: you lost some dive gear.

Good news: there wasn't a fire in the baggage hold and a plane crash.

Bad news: you lost some dive gear.

Good news: there wasn't a fire in the baggage hold and a plane crash.

Very valid point, but it is still hard to loose dive gear, and especially though someone else's doing. It is good to pick out the silver linings though.

As a "tidy bowl" diver all my dive gear gets checked except stuff I'm loathe to do without i.e. a swim suit, a dive skin, pair of dive socks, DC, and my prescription mask (hard soled dive boots if headed to Bonaire or Curacao :)). I've never had anything damaged or lost, but I get plenty of TSA love notes in my checked bags. As far as "life support gear," if it can handle a week of salt water liveaboard never leaving the tank and packed back and forth on pangas, it's not fragile. I would rather risk it checked in a good dive bag than lug it through airports on connections. If I'm only diving a couple of times on a trip or on a long haul trip with access to quality gear on the other end, I might not bring it at all. Diving my own gear is a luxury I enjoy (a lot), but I don't HAVE to HAVE it to enjoy diving. All IMHO, YMMV. :cheers:

OBTW, to the OP, sorry your gear was damaged.

I’m not about to bring the gear to the pool where tons of people drinking are constantly peeing into the pool.....

You'll get over this eventually. Think of all the fish peeing and pooping in the ocean.

I travel internationally with diving gear a lot! I travel with 3 pelican cases and I have a large laminated note taped to the inside of the lids that explains what the equipment along with a reference to the manufactures online manuals and website and also explaining that the equipment is life support equipment and it need to be handled with care. Most of the time I am traveling with a rebreather 7 first stages 4 second stages, spare parts, plus regular diving gear. I have never had an issue and I have traveled through a lot of countries. Very rarely do I get stopped and if I do its more out of curiosity. Best thing is to have some pictures of you diving in the equipment on your phone so you can show them what it is especially when it comes to rebreathers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom