Trying to make something...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rcruz2525

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, this is what I want to do if possible, I think is been done but I am new to scuba and really do not know where to get information on this.
What I want to do is to have a scuba tank on the boat and have a hose attach to it say 50 feet that is attach to a regulator something like the Brownies’s Kayak
Kayak Diving Hose Kits
But I want to make my own,
cables.jpg
- I want to have a (1) that I can attach a regulator (3), gauges(2) and the hose that will go to the tank on top of the boat.
- I also want if possible to have 2 tanks instead of one link together on top of the boat, I have seem scuba divers with too tank together so I was just wandering if it can be done.

Any info I can get on where to purchase this items will be apriciated and if it can be done or not.

Thank you.

From what I understand, it sounds a little like SNUBA, i.e., using a scuba reg with a compressor at the surface. Does not sound like a good idea for a do-it-yourself. I wouldn't do it without proper experience and training.

A 50 foot long hose with connections (probably have to use adapters) to connect to a 1st stage on one end and 2nd stage on the other. Pretty simple. Use a length of rope to tie the hose to your waist with enough slack to comfortably keep the 2nd stage in your mouth and prevent loosing it if it comes out of your mouth. You can probably get the adapters you would need from Trident.

TRIDENT-DIVING-ACCESSORIES

Bullard Hose, Air, 50 Ft Length Model: 5457 Compressed Breathing Air,Rubber, V10 | eBay

Making lifesupport equipment is not a casual affair. A surface supplied air source is known as a Hookah they run anywhere from $1000 up. Leaving the tank in the boat creates several hazards. first, you will have no gauge and your air is going to snake down 50 fsw. I like my lifesupport where I have control of it.... You might as well wear the tank with you, otherwise you have 50ft of trouble waiting to catch the bottom or a rock or get damaged, or tangled in.

Hookah are useful if you want to do very long shallow dives, but you have a gas engine producing exhaust close to (but hopefully far enough from the air intake) a damaged snorkel or one that was poorly designed or built could be fatal. Reliable scuba is widely available, unless you have a REALLY good reason (Like the need to plan a prison break and recover the diamonds stashed on the boat sunken just of the shore of your prison island) I would drop this idea.

On a note related to this, most 1st stage run at something like 225 psi (i think) does anyone think that tank 50 feet away and pushing against, say, 25 fsw would be able to keep an un-modified regulator functioning? You have to not only push against ambient pressure on the reg, but also the loss of presssure due to resistance on such a long hose. Would it even be able to operate, despite being a death trap? Any thoughts?

---------- Post Merged at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:48 PM ----------

Having looked at the links, just pay the $150 bucks and get something that was built and tested by someone who at least has some reasonable idea what they were doing. Build a Kayak or something or a u/w scooter that wouldn't be fatal if it wasn't made properly

Greetings rcruz I have seen several of the units you are describing.
One was on a boat used on the hang bar the other for deco incase of lost gas.
I echo the serious nature of life support gear and good hose connections.
I would purchase a unit if I was wanting one.

Dive Safe

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom