Trying to ID This Fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dwashbur

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We found this guy at about 15 fsw Sunday 7-13-08 at Monastery South, on the edge of the kelp forest. The markings are really curious, including the white streak on his face and the spots on his dorsal fin. Those and the head shape make me think kelpfish of some kind, but the dorsal fin looks more like a gunnel of some denomination. Bottom line: I don't know. Help! These are all the same fish, who wouldn't hold still to have his picture taken. I've cleaned them up as much as I could.

mystery_fish1.jpg

mystery_fish2.jpg

mystery_fish3.jpg

Well, that explains why I couldn't find it, I don't have Gottshall. I have Humann - hear the new edition is supposed to be out in a couple of months or something like that - and one on the pacific northwest by Lamb and Edgell, but that's it for fish. Guess I gotta go buy another book. Awwwww, shucks :eyebrow:

Thanks!

Six-Spot Prickleback, Kasatkia seigeli. Gotshall, P. 93. "This species is considered rare, probably
because of its cryptic habits." Not in my old edition Humann (is the new edition out?). I've never
seen one.

Huh. We must just be lucky, I guess. My daughter caught this one with her camera yesterday at Point Lobos. A little backscatter, but not a bad shot considering he was on the move in open water.
sixspot.jpg

Back
Top Bottom