trying to find the right BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Ladyhawk as well and I like it. I hate those BCs that make the tank sag down around your knees. The Ladyhawk allows the tank to sit high up on your back with the valve within reach of your hand. I'm thinking about selling my size small so I can buy a BP/W, though. But in the meantime, it's a good compromise.

If you go with a bp/wing, it will be infinitely adjustable so there is no question of getting it to fit. If you want to stay with something more traditional, get a Zeagle - you can custom fit them by changing cumberbunds and shoulder straps. I personally don't like the Zena zipper and Zeagle seems to have dropped it from their new women's BC, the Lazer.

Jackie

spankey:
Have a look at the Seac-sub range, they are made in Italy. I got my girlfriend one after her OW beacuse she is so small this is the only range that would fix nicely and she loves it. I have also got myself one cause the quailty is very good.

I have Seac-sub fins and love them! I've tried Mares and a couple others but I still prefer my Seac's. I didn't know they also made BC's. You don't see much Seac-sub in the US.

I am not a very experienced diver, but I have tried a few of the rental BC's in my short time as a diver and I must say that I fancy my Zeagle Zena BC. You are able to customize it because it is a modular system. For example, I use a med back, sm shoulder, & sm front and it fits like a glove or as the DiveMaven once said, "Zeagle Zena.... a corset with a wing. Doesn't get much better than that for a girl! "

Swapping components is not the same as "customizing" or a custom fit. It's a closer fit, but not custom.

So we have recommendations for:

1. Component swappable BCs
2. BCs from a company with nearly no presence in the US
3. BCs designed to fit the "average" female form
4. BC that offers absolutely custom fit.

Be interesting to see what the original poster chooses.

PerroneFord:
Swapping components is not the same as "customizing" or a custom fit. It's a closer fit, but not custom.
Maybe not, but it can still be a great thing. I dive with a Zeagle.... .. small back, medium front and X-small (custom) shoulders... Thanks Zeagle!!

I could tell you what I dive, however, I may not dive the way you do or have the same concerns that you have.

I have dove with BCD's that I thought had GREAT features, however when I would walk, they would strain my shoulders from an improper fit. I've dove with BCD's that FIT well, but they had plastic d-rings that I didn't feel comfortable making it over the long haul.

And personally, I dive a rear inflate. I believe that most women prefer a jacket BCD. A rear inflate keeps me streamlined and I feel "free". For many of my companions, a jacket BCD gives them security and offers more pockets for storing things.

So, my advice. FIT FIRST. It's got to fit you and your torso length and shoulder width will have alot to do with good fit. Of course you'll need to decide where you want the air...on your back (rear inflate) or all around you (jacket style).

And secondly, look at the features. Are you a "Christmas Tree" underwater...the diver that wants to be sure that you have ANYTHING that you may possibly need in any give situation underwater... If so, you'll need lots of D-rings and pockets. If you're a minimalist diver, believing that too many gadgets is an accident waiting to happen, then you'll want a more streamlined BCD with less "gadgetry" on it.

Good luck!

Cindyhttp://www.girldiver.com

LOL!

I love this girldiverllc...

Big purse diver... (Christmas tree)
Small purse diver... (Average)
Cash-n-carry diver... (Hogarthian)

Nice....

I recommend all women give the backplate/wings style a try before writing them off as being to utilitarian or whatnot.

They make short backplates that are infinately more comfortable than long ones if you don't have a long torso.

If you are a really small woman, there is NO way that a jacket BCD will ever "snug up" on you. You will always have some issues with tank slop. The harness totally adjustable. You can even get them with buckles and things.

but in addition to that, here is my take... Many women are smaller torso'd then men, so we have less room for stuff up there. Also some of us have boobs in the way. SO, it makes sense that a BCD with a minimum of fabric in front will actually fit us better and be less cumbersome than any of the jacket style and most of the "back inflate" bcd's.

You just don't need all those pockets on the BCD, they are added bulk and drag... If you need places to put stuff, pockets on your wetsuit, drysuit or X-shorts will be MUCH more accessible (and you can put shock cord in them to teather things to) and comfortable in my opinion.

There is also no need for 15 different D-rings on the front. If you put the D-rings in the right place, you can clip like 15 things per d-ring with no problem :wink: (okay, maybe i'm exagerating a little, but really.. on one D-ring I can clip my long hose second, my 18w HID head, a scout, my camera, and generally anything else anyone tosses at me.. If we are talking christmas tree divers, take this into consideration, I have 3 working D rings on my kit (both shoulders and left waist) and can drag around multiple stages, scooters, deco bottles, reels, etc...

I'm not big and strong by any means... In fact I'm kinda whimpy... BP&W are for ALL divers :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom