trying to find the right BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDebbie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
The BC I'm diving with now doesn't meet my needs, and it's frustrating trying to actually find something that will work for me, so I'd like to hear some ideas from other women.

Here are the problems. I find that unisex BCs (translate - "men's BCs") just don't fit me well. I already wear a small but it's too wide and too loose in the shoulders (especially over a wetsuit). If I wear an XS it's too tight in the chest and waist.
So I've been looking at the women's BCs. However I do not want a jacket style, which most of them seem to be. I'm tall, and I currently dive dry in cold water, often with students, so I need something with at least 30 lbs of lift. It needs to be weight integrated and hold about 30 lbs of weight. I don't want to use a weight belt.

Don't the manufacturers realise that not all women divers are short, small, novice, tropical vacation divers? Am I that much of an anomaly, or do all other women divers like me just dive with a BP/wing set up? Have I missed a women's BC out there that would meet my needs?

Not that I've had any luck with other lines either, but my LDS carries Sherwood, (which I currently own), but they're all too low on lift and weight capacity; Zeagle, which meets those needs but not women's fit (I don't like the zipper/chest enclosing idea of the Zena); and OMS.

So I'm looking at an OMS IQ pack (for comfort as well as adjustability) with a 32 lb wing. I think it would be a much better option for cold water, but how about tropical diving? Can any women who dive with this comment on the fit as well as function?

I dive dry with a Halcean harness and a Bp/w (with steel 100 doubles). i still wear 7lbs of weight. 4 are on the tank and 3 are around my ankles. i do have a jacket bc that i like. its a SeaQuest Diva. I have always liked the fit.

I'm tall and thin too and currently dive a BP/W. I've also used Zeagles. The men's sizes can be customized with different sized shoulders and cumberbunds for a more custom fit. I tried on the IQ Pack and I did like the way it fit, unlike the Transpac, where the size S is too short. The plain harness is the most adjustable option.

I'm short and thin and dive a BP/W with the shoulder straps crossed, which keeps the straps in the hollow on the front of my shoulders. I just couldn't find anything in a BC that really fit well, and the one I ended up buying shifted around too much. I do use a weight belt, because I actually prefer it, but there are options like the Halcyon ACB pockets for creating what amounts to integrated weights on a harness.

Skip the women's BC's and go for something that can be customized. I'm tall and relatively thin. Zeagle has worked well for me. You don't have to limit yourself to the Zena. (I hated the zipped up front). All Zeagle BCs can be custom fit. If I wasn't diving a Zeagle I'd go for a BP and wings.

might also look at the Ladyhawk

Donna won a Zeagle BC at the SB Invades the Keys trip. She traded the Men's BC for a Zeagle Zena. She had been using a Scubapro Sport Classic for years and never really liked it. She really likes this Zeagle BC.

Thanks again Scubatoys for their support of our charity event during the trip to the Keys.

I agree with Damsel...try the Ladyhawk, I have one and I love it.

I'm short (5'1") & small also, so tanks run from my thigh past my head. I have a hard time getting the tank into just the right spot on the BC so the valve/reg dont hit me on the back of the head but so the strap isn't around the curve of the tank. I do have an old TUSA liberator (small) which fits fairly well and I use for teaching because of pockets, easy on/off for demo's, etc. For pleasure I do like the Dive-rite's BP+wing (the 30lb wing size is enough) - very adjustable for all size people, and the double tank straps (single tank) is a plus. The BP on it is just a bit shorter than my B.F.'s Halcyon so it isn't too long on me.
Just have to try on a bunch of different variations to figure out what is most comfortable...for me, the more adjustable, the better the fit as well as the more adaptable for different situations (ie. cold vs. tropical).
Keep us posted on what you decide and how it works for you.

The Scubapro Ladyhawk is a nice BC, but I dive the OMS IQ pack and love it.
With the steel plate it's heavy to travel with, but you can also buy an aluminum plate.
When I use a steel tank with the steel plate in cold water, I use very little weight.
In warm water, I don't need any. If you do go with it, stay away from the larger pockets. They have a weight integrated pocket and a 3-compartment pocket, but they are big, go with the compact weight pocket. It's a great BC, really made to last.

Back
Top Bottom