Trying to decide on new gear setup...need help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigAirHarper

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,
I'm wanting to go ahead and purchase my own personal dive gear, however I am finding the options are limitless and I really want to get good stuff that fits what I will use it for. I will doing mainly typical open water dives in the ocean with the occasional spring dive here in Florida. I have been looking at ScubaPro and Oceanic brands of gear but I haven't settled on anything particular. Mainly I'm trying to decide which brand, if either is best. And I was just looking for opinions on all the gear needed(BC, reg, octo, console/dive comp). I am not looking for top of the line, but not scraping the bottom of the barrel either. Thanks in advance for any help.

Congrats on your decision to buy your own gear! It's so nice to not use rentals. By asking for advice you've just opened a can of worms as everyone is just about to recommend their own favorite brand ;-).

I can only share from my personal experience and the first gear purchases that I still love and that which I regretted, sold and rebought.

To do it again I'd buy:

Scuba Pro MK25 S600 reg
Suunto Sk7 compass with a wrist mount
I'd pick up a simple brass/glass PSI gauge
I'd pass on a B/C and buy a back plate/wing instead (at least dive one before you buy a B/C)

Good luck!

Last edited:
If your looking for gear that will last you thourout diving then go with a Back plate wing.

Halcyon Eclipse or Dive rite Transpac (BC).
I have the Halcyon and love it. It can change as your diving does and it's an awesome setup.

ScubaPro or Atomic (regs)
Oceanic,Diverite,Scubapro (computers)

Hi,
I'm wanting to go ahead and purchase my own personal dive gear, however I am finding the options are limitless and I really want to get good stuff that fits what I will use it for. I will doing mainly typical open water dives in the ocean with the occasional spring dive here in Florida. I have been looking at ScubaPro and Oceanic brands of gear but I haven't settled on anything particular. Mainly I'm trying to decide which brand, if either is best. And I was just looking for opinions on all the gear needed(BC, reg, octo, console/dive comp). I am not looking for top of the line, but not scraping the bottom of the barrel either. Thanks in advance for any help.

Well B/P wings are not made with Kevlar but close. I have four and have found them to be a lifetime investment. My most recent purchase was a HOG 32 single wing with a Dive Rite SS plate. Plus another advantage if you gain or lose weight you can simply replace the webbing for about $20. You can't do that with a BCD.

If you are a large guy the extra weight on your back will help with your balance in the water and reduce the amount you need on your weight belt so you can stay horizontial much easier.

I have a Scuba Pro Knighthawk that I teach in. I got rid of the plastic adjustments and cumberbun and added two inch webbing so nothing can break.

As far as the regs I have four sets of MK25 S600's that I use and they work extremely well. I also have some some older Mares and Dacor regs that I still dive with.

Several of my dive computers are Oceanic and I have had them for 10 years and other than replacing batteries still going strong.

First, the following is my opinion based on my experience and therefore not fact, just what works for me. I like a rig that is smooth, light weight, streamlined (for ease of propulsion in the water and no danglely stuff to catch you on the reef/ plants/ line).

I will agree with the need for a backplate and wing. They are more comfortable and offer great range of motion. Rather than feeling constricted by the air around your boy, the wing keeps the air behind you helping to keep your trim in check (I like Oxycheq's wings).
Some people might consider the rigidity of the backplate uncomfortable or the harness setup stiff, but I would venture that they have not dove it. I thought the same thing until I tried it and have not gone back since (part of the beauty is you can assemble it yourself to save money).

I really enjoy Scubapro mk25/g250v regs. I do have two second stages that are the same with my primary on a long hose (if you have not read up on these, please do so...IMHO I do not see why I was not trained on it in the first place as it gives your buddy so much more hose to work with in an OOA emergency). My computer is on my wrist and so is my compass.

You will hear from some people that this rig is set up like the "DIR" crowd. Though I am not compliant with their philosophy in every respect. I like the streamlined and minimalistic gear setup.

Just my two cents.

Spend some time browsing through the equipment forums here, and you'll get more opinions on equipment than you can shake a stick at.

I think there aren't very many places where there is true consensus, but one is on compasses. The Suunto SK-7 in one of the Deep Sea Supply compass boots is a definite winner.

I would argue against spending the money for top-end regulators like the MK25/S600. I bought an Aqualung Titan when I was a new diver, and it was reasonably priced and has served me (and my husband, who also bought one) very well. I would recommend buying something you can get serviced locally, because it's a great convenience.

When it comes to BCs, the most important thing is fit. And fit doesn't mean that it's comfortable to wear when you're walking around in the shop. Fit means that you can put it on and adjust it, if need be, so that it will be comfortable and still hold the tank stable on your back. I think one of the problems that makes me saddest with new divers is when their BCs are sloppy on them, and the tank slews from side to side, and they can't keep their balance in the water. At the risk of sounding like part of the BP mafia, I will say that plates have the lovely quality of encouraging stability, even if the harness isn't very tight. This is a good thing.

I would also warn against spending hundreds of dollars on the next new thing in fins. Buy some sturdy, reasonably stiff paddle fins to begin with, and if down the line you try something and love it, you can upgrade.

You might also get some good pointers from reading the thread, "What did you buy that you regret?" Although it's impossibly long at this point, there are definitely some recurring themes.

Good luck with this -- buying gear is part of the fun of diving, and don't think you'll ever be done with it!

I would argue against spending the money for top-end regulators like the MK25/S600. I bought an Aqualung Titan when I was a new diver, and it was reasonably priced and has served me (and my husband, who also bought one) very well. I would recommend buying something you can get serviced locally, because it's a great convenience.

I started with a Titan too. I loved it until it started wanting to free flow in my mouth at depth. Even after the IP fix, it still wanted to flow if I tilted my head from side to side. If I would have bought the more pricey up front it would have taken me longer to get wet, but I would have saved money in the end.
My friend dives a Titan and loves it. Maybe I was just that one statistic?:idk:

I would also warn against spending hundreds of dollars on the next new thing in fins. Buy some sturdy, reasonably stiff paddle fins to begin with, and if down the line you try something and love it, you can upgrade.

+1

You might also get some good pointers from reading the thread, "What did you buy that you regret?"

Lot's of good stuff there.

don't focus on one brand, some people make great regs, some make great BC's, others make great wetsuits. trying to patronize to one brand is what the marketing departments and LDS are looking for, don't fall for it. be a good consumer, evaluate each piece on its own and try to be impartial to what the logo is. Ask about things like customer service, warranty service, turn around time, what type of gear do the local shop see the most of (not what they sell the most of), and talk with divers that don't have an interest in selling you anything what they like and more importantly WHY they like it.

for example- a diver I know that used ScubaPro regs (now diving Zeagle, due to customer support issues), swore everyday how great they were. So when I asked what about them was so good, he could only say, "well I've had it for 5 years now and I haven't had a problem yet". Which to me is a worthless opinion. Now if he would have said, something along the lines of... the bitepiece and reg design fits my mouth comfortably, the hose routing is simple and effective, the purge is easy to use, service and parts are readily available, and it breathes as well as I have experienced, it would have meant a lot more to me.

I would recommend buying one of the top regs. The reg will last you easily over 10 years so you're going to be stuck with it for a long time. Say in 5 years you upgrade your reg, you'll take a loss in selling and rebuying and what's the point of not having the better reg during the first 5 years.

I have an old Oceanic Delta 2, about 15 years old, and I'm waiting for it to give up its ghost so I can buy either a Zeagle FH 7 or one of the Atomics.

Adam

Back
Top Bottom